Anyone own or used a Redfield optic?

ryno

Redfield makes a 6x - 30x 56mm scope with a 30mm tube. Has anyone tried one of these? I love the thought of having that kind of range, but I know nothing of the glass quality. I wouldn't expect a Swaro, but something close to a leupold VX3 would be more my needs. Here is the link to their site... web page

LRHWAL,
Do you know anything about these? I haven't gotten any response from anyone else. I don't know, if that a good or bad thing??? Perhaps they are just too new???

Sorry Ryno, I meant I'd like to see the replies too. The prices look quite competitive and Redfield at one point in the past had a good reputation. Sorry - I know nothing about them.

Wim

I've posted the same ? on various sites, have yet to get a response. They're made by meade instruments, the 30 mm tube models have 80 moa of elevation and windage, supposedly a new type of friction spring adjustments for better tracking, guess I'll hata buy one and run through the course.
JS

Sorry, I had meant to add that the pics and data I could find seemed to indicate that the scope with 15X at the max was parallax adjusted for 100yrds - which doesn't really get me too excited. The other models have quite a bit bigger magnification at the top end.

Wim

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry Ryno, I meant I'd like to see the replies too. The prices look quite competitive and Redfield at one point in the past had a good reputation. Sorry - I know nothing about them.

Wim

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that the old Redfields had that good of reputation. I owned 4 of them during the 70's and everyone of them developed major problems. I still think of Redfield as a *** from my past experience with them.......... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

JWP475,
Thanks for the insight. What I have been wondering, is that Meade owns Redfield and Weaver. My good friend owns a tack driving .308, and swears by the Weaver on top of it. However, he is not a hunter. He does A LOT of target shooting, but has never shot farther than 600 yards. On the range, it seems very good, but I have never tried it during a low light situation.

Redfields are priced significantly more than Weavers, and I would never buy anything less than a VXIII quality for a long range gun. My other concern is, I am trying to decide on an optic for a .300 Win Mag I am building and the kick of a .308 is quite lower than the .300 Win Mag.

Thanks to all for their comments. I just keep checking this post, hoping someone has tried the new models. I hate to be the first one on the block, with a new model of anything (car, lawn mower, or anything). I will probably end up with a VXIII, but for now, I am just enamered with the 6X to 30X range.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts