Anyone own a 7mm 300 Win Mag?

Is anybody having any luck with the 168 Nosler Accubond Long Range in this cartridge? I've been trying a few and the results so far have been awful. 3 MOA at 200 yards at the worst and 1-1/2 MOA at its best. I've tried em at .010, .015, and .020 jump. I'm going to .100 jump next as I read a little on the Nosler forum about using that much jump. I'm using RP brass, WLRM primers, and H1000. This rifle will shoot 1/2 MOA at 500 with 162 AMAX's so I know it's not the rifle. Any ideas or recommendations are welcome. Thanks!

Is anybody having any luck with the 168 Nosler Accubond Long Range in this cartridge? I've been trying a few and the results so far have been awful. 3 MOA at 200 yards at the worst and 1-1/2 MOA at its best. I've tried em at .010, .015, and .020 jump. I'm going to .100 jump next as I read a little on the Nosler forum about using that much jump. I'm using RP brass, WLRM primers, and H1000. This rifle will shoot 1/2 MOA at 500 with 162 AMAX's so I know it's not the rifle. Any ideas or recommendations are welcome. Thanks!

Do you have a fairly heavy barrel contour? If not, you may have yet to find the accuracy node for this bullet. Light-to-medium contour barrels will favor a specific muzzle velocity range for a given bullet. I believe that's more likely to be the culprit than seating depth with groups that large in a proven rifle. The famous ladder method might be the perfect approach for you to find out. Only takes 5-10 shots at 300 yards.

Chuck it's a #5 Douglas and I think you may be right. It took a bit to get the AMAX's where I wanted em. The bolt lift is a bit heavy and the primers are somewhat flat but I finally hit the node with them at 82 grains of H1000. My chrony clocks em at 3440 with ~20 fps ES. I'll try a 500 yard ladder with the Accubonds. Thanks!!

ARK TRAPPER I have not yet tried the 168 ABLR bullets yet but I did try a few of the 175's in my 7-300 winny. My chamber is set up with .233" freebore .316" no turn neck this allows me to run the 180 berger's bearing surface-boat tail junction at the shoulder neck junction for optimum case capacity and it will still fit in standard mag box. I started them at the lands and pushed back .010" at a time they came into there own at around .070" off I do believe, I would have to check my notes to be absolute but it was right in there. I also noticed this with a few 300 RUM's with the 210's in that they really shot incredible loaded @3.660" COAL. They usually shoot some what ok at the lands but get way better the further off they are.

ARK TRAPPER I have not yet tried the 168 ABLR bullets yet but I did try a few of the 175's in my 7-300 winny. My chamber is set up with .233" freebore .316" no turn neck this allows me to run the 180 berger's bearing surface-boat tail junction at the shoulder neck junction for optimum case capacity and it will still fit in standard mag box. I started them at the lands and pushed back .010" at a time they came into there own at around .070" off I do believe, I would have to check my notes to be absolute but it was right in there. I also noticed this with a few 300 RUM's with the 210's in that they really shot incredible loaded @3.660" COAL. They usually shoot some what ok at the lands but get way better the further off they are.

Thanks Elk Hunter!! That's the info I was looking for. I've got an 8 round ladder test loaded up with the bullets setting at the lands to try and find a true max load and hopefully an accuracy node somewhere. If it gives me some viable info I'll start fiddling more with seating depth. I've got 200 of these things so if I can't get em to shoot by the time I've ran the first box out I'll sell the second box and just use another bullet.

Well here's the results of my 8 round ladder test with the 168 LRAB. The verticle spread on em wasn't bad, a little over 1 MOA for the ones in the node. The horizontal was really bad though, over 5 MOA. Even at 81 grains there wasn't significant flattening of the primer even though the bolt lift started to get heavy at 80.5 grains. The hole with the X was to check zero.
6E6CD31F-905D-40AE-8C37-8B8C7206DB45.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Yes, 7mm 300 Win Mag.

What do you think of it? I have a chance to aquire one. How does it differ from a 7mm Rem Mag?

28" custom barrel and I would want to shoot big BC bullets a long ways.

Any info would be appreciate about this caliber.

Thanks!

Jeff
7 mag great ballistic coeficient for long range work with a reasonable recoil level. 300 to get the same range you have to use more powder longer bullets, and soak up much more recoil. unless u use a brake.

7 mag great ballistic coeficient for long range work with a reasonable recoil level. 300 to get the same range you have to use more powder longer bullets, and soak up much more recoil. unless u use a brake.

Well I have owned and built several of the 7mm-300's since the thread was started a few years ago. There are two going together on my bench right now.

To tell the honest truth, I feel little or no recoil difference between the 300 win with a 215 Berger and a 7mm-300 with a 180. Both rifles weigh the same and have the same barrel contour too. They do also have identical brakes.

We typically use around 74 to 76 gr of H-1000 in the 7-300 and 77 gr in the 300 win. So powder consumption is a mute point that few precision hand loader would notice a difference.

I still hunt with the 300 win to take advantage of the higher BC of the 215's over the 180's and the added impact energy. I have compared both side by side in the field on many range days. The 300's high BC offerings starts to pay off in less drop, less wind drift and more energy at the outer limits of where most would hunt with either.

I am optimistic that when Berger gets caught up and releases the 195 for the 7mm, and if it hold true to proposed BC's. This could all change. I will be retesting and re-evaluating side by side. But for now it is what it is and number don't lie. The 300 win is highly under estimated. Mostly from wrongful internet postings.

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

I read almost the entire thread and dont think i read what size bushings you are using? You stated you were using 3 differen't ones starting at a certain point and slowly working it down. But if one were to get a redding 300. win mag die which bushing sizes would you recommend.

Hey Jeff,

I read almost the entire thread and dont think i read what size bushings you are using? You stated you were using 3 differen't ones starting at a certain point and slowly working it down. But if one were to get a redding 300. win mag die which bushing sizes would you recommend.

I step it down .010" at a time for the first trip. Then just use a TN bushing for the neck size step. I forget what exact sizes they are right now but will look later. I think a .308 is the final bushing I use with WW brass. It may vary a bit with different brass or even lot to lot.

Also 3 steps could be a bit over kill. It could probably be done easily in two. But less work at a time I find induces less neck runout.

Jeff

Totally stoked. I got my 7/300 win back from my gunsmith Kevin Weaver here in Colorado Springs. It is definitely continuing to grow in popularity, he says that he is always working on a couple at a time. Built on a vanguard action I had laying around with a manners stock and a vaporizer brake.

FullSizeRender_zps67508aa0.jpg

Virgin nosler brass is resized, scope is boresighted and my nearest range is 600 yards and if it weren't for work and grad school my ladder test would be done. I am definitely feeling the urge to play hookie one day.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.