Anyone own a 7mm 300 Win Mag?

I am putting together the parts for a long range rifle that i am going to chamber it in the 7-300win. i am building on a savage action. i have looked at how long the round is going to be with the 180 berger and i am now thinking single shot is how ill have to go. the long action magazine is too short for me to try to keep the tail of the bullet at the shoulder of the case.

i listen to you guys talking about the free bore and all and would like to know more about it, like how to make for a faster load, but keep accuracy. i have two barrel blanks coming one a benchmark 8.4" twist and the other a mcgowan 1:9 both stainless. two barrels, so if one barrel goes i can throw the other barrel on rework the load a little and be back in the game.

i would like to be running 3150+ accurately. I plan to use this rifle for long range hunting of deer, elk, bear and an occasional coyote as well as shooting the steel targets i use for my long range shooting events out to 1000 yards some times further.

thanks,
caleb

Hi guys, please excuse my metric and mixed units.

I built a 7mm-300 (7mm Practical) on a Howa last year for a client. The magazine box is 91mm but for smooth feeding from the mag, max COAL needs to be no more than 90.2mm. Divide by 25.4 for imperial.

OK, so I took a gamble with the above and we set the rifle up for a max COAL (touching the lands) of 91.2mm, then seated the A-Max to 90.2mm for 1mm (40 thou) jump. It worked and the rifle shot well. Pet load was 3215fps from a 26" barrel.

I chose the 40 thou jump because if I had gone any shorter, the client would never be able to use a conventional soft point or SST bullets. I wanted the client to be able to use the Partition if need be. As it is, these bullet designs are at a point where the ogive is in or up against the case mouth.

There is not a great deal of difference between the max COAL of the A-Max versus the max COAL of the Berger- Berger tend to run about 20 thou longer.

I have to admit that I do prefer to work with a longer mag box. 92mm is a good minimum (3.622).

As for new generation heavy 7mm bullets, I have been playing with the 190gr Matrix in my rifle, video and autopsies here if anyone wants a look:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys, please excuse my metric and mixed units.

I built a 7mm-300 (7mm Practical) on a Howa last year for a client. The magazine box is 91mm but for smooth feeding from the mag, max COAL needs to be no more than 90.2mm. Divide by 25.4 for imperial.

OK, so I took a gamble with the above and we set the rifle up for a max COAL (touching the lands) of 91.2mm, then seated the A-Max to 90.2mm for 1mm (40 thou) jump. It worked and the rifle shot well. Pet load was 3215fps from a 26" barrel.

I chose the 40 thou jump because if I had gone any shorter, the client would never be able to use a conventional soft point or SST bullets. I wanted the client to be able to use the Partition if need be. As it is, these bullet designs are at a point where the ogive is in or up against the case mouth.

There is not a great deal of difference between the max COAL of the A-Max versus the max COAL of the Berger- Berger tend to run about 20 thou longer.

I have to admit that I do prefer to work with a longer mag box. 92mm is a good minimum (3.622).

As for new generation heavy 7mm bullets, I have been playing with the 190gr Matrix in my rifle, video and autopsies here if anyone wants a look:

Long range hunting with the 7mm 190gr Matrix bullet - YouTube
Hey Nathan, im Riley Decker from your forum, i will send you a PM in a bit.

He is a good boy. You can see he had been there a while before we got there, had decided he had enough waiting as soon as he saw me and was off sniffing around to see if anything else was about when I came up on him with the camera.

The original 7mm-300 rifle I started this thread with is going to be up for sale soon. (see pic post 14) My friend is stepping up to a 338. So if anyone is interested we can sell it turn key including RWS brass, Dies, scope, and load info. ready to go. PM me for details or watch for an ad in the "guns for sale" in a few days.

Jeff

Recent Posts