Anyone loading 308 Winchester with 14 twist

junkout

I have one with a 26inch shilen barrel. Curiosity any one has experience with this combination. I'm using 155gr amax. Looking for a load and possibly what speed the sweet spot should come in.

I have one with a 26inch shilen barrel. Curiosity any one has experience with this combination. I'm using 155gr amax. Looking for a load and possibly what speed the sweet spot should come in.
junkout,
Suggest you get a Hornady manual . They are a great reference to have on your bench. As far as accuracy nodes. These you will have to test for ( Seating depth and velocity) because ALL rifles are different. Do your seating depth testing at the lowest powder charge listed for the bullet/powder/cartridge combination you are testing for. Then work you load back up checking for accuracy and pressure signs. Its work but it pays big benefits. Make sure your rifle and scope are mechanically sound before you start your load testing. Loose guard screws, bad bedding , barrel clearance to stock (free float) , barrel crown, scope adjustment function ( box and tall target test) and mount and base screws are a few things to check or have a gunsmith check and torque all screws to spec.

I appreciate your advice. I have several reference guides to load data for the case in question and am not new to loading. .As far as muzzle velocity and nodes. There are consist bands with simular barrels/calibers/twist. That is why I gave the specifics on my gun in hopes another shooter would have some experience with it and have an idea of where I will be ending up. Debatable I'm sure but that's not why I asked the question

When I first started in 100,200 and 300 yard BR for score, I was using a 308, 14 twist, with 125 Gr. bullets. It shot very well. I then shortened the case by .200" and it shot even better with those light bullets.

Thank you Eddie. That is something I will check into and might try later down the road when it's time to do brass work... Did you find that by accident or learn that from other shooters?

In those days the IBS and the NBRSA had minimum case capacity rules for the Hunter Class. The case was required to hold as much or, more than a 30-30 Win. case. The "Doggie", a .200" short 308, just barely made this requirement. It offered excellent accuracy as well as reduced recoil. It actually was a distant cousin of the now popular 30BR. I used to make my cases from Remington 308 small primer 308 brass known as URBR. I even used a couple of 15 twist barrels.

That interesting information Eddie. Thank you for your input. I'm curious did you neck or full length size your cases? I ask because shorting the neck .200" would make for less tension on the bullets which could helped the accuracy.

The neck stayed the same length. The shoulder was moved back .200" and the neck then shortened to the normal length. By the way, trimming .200" off of that brass was a king sized PITA! My reamer was a .331 neck 308 Win. by Hugh Henrikson.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.