Anyone know where 8208 powder is?

I Just sold 6 pounds of 8208 xbr a week ago. I managed to get 8 pounds awhile back. But just kept using varget instead. And getting ready to play with some of the new Winchester Stabal Match

I have N135 in lieu of 8208 and it is great in 223 Rem with 52/53 gr. A little bulkier and fill the case better.

Not sure what is going on with ADI (8208) down under but they have been having issues for a number of years. Stopped development on some pistol/shotgun powders and have availability issues with just about everything else. As for Hodgdon they seem to be pushing Winchester and Accurate ball/spherical powders which are all St Mark's powders right now. The Accurate and IMR extruded powders are GD Valleyfield out of Canada and either something is going on there or Hodgdon is just ignoring that brand. If GD stopped making Enduron then Hodgdon can export IMR powders to the EC.
From what I have been told they are having humidity problems at the manufacturing plant. i have been able to get 8208 without much trouble, but pistol powders and Trailboss haven't been manufactured for quite while. They are planning to do the popular powders on a regular basis, less popular ones only once or twice a year, supposed to be doing AR2206H and Ar2205 this month or next. month.

I Just sold 6 pounds of 8208 xbr a week ago. I managed to get 8 pounds awhile back. But just kept using varget instead. And getting ready to play with some of the new Winchester Stabal Match
I was really disappointed with StaBALL Match, far lower velocity in my 35 WAI than I was expecting.

From what I have been told they are having humidity problems at the manufacturing plant. i have been able to get 8208 without much trouble, but pistol powders and Trailboss haven't been manufactured for quite while. They are planning to do the popular powders on a regular basis, less popular ones only once or twice a year, supposed to be doing AR2206H and Ar2205 this month or next. month.
Different story here in the USA. We have guns, and you have powder. 🥹

I've heard TAC isn't very temperature stable. To each their own if they shoot in constant Temps but it's a huge issue here in montana if the powder you are using isn't temp stable due to the difference in temperature throughout the year. I like to be able to verify my data and be confident that it is still what I verified.
Where in Montana are you? I have 3lbs of it for my Grendel was considering switching to CFE223 if I can get a load worked up for it. I have a bit of TAC too. I could try to do a stability test. I was under the impression that 8208 wasn't an extreme and could still experience big increases or decreases due to temps, though I've never tested it. CFE223 seems to be of a similar burn rate and it's all over the place.

Actually, I would recommend Varget as a substitute for 8208 XBR.

The burn rates are very very close.

Much closer than 4895, and
Varget is also temp insensitive and available right now.

Actually, I would recommend Varget as a substitute for 8208 XBR.

The burn rates are very very close.

Much closer than 4895, and
Varget is also temp insensitive and available right now.
Huh? 🤔 95, 99, 101 and 113.

Attachments

• 2023-05-smokeless-relative-burn-rate-chart.pdf
    59.3 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
A large group of powders in that burn rate for sure - when Varget was impossible to find, lots of experimentation in that burn rate
I dont use the charts.

I use numerical burn rates from QL.

Ranked here.

Its why I dont like charts.....
Sometimes you see one powder reversed from another one and different on different charts.. You dont really get a feel for how close or far apart things are on the chart, just relative.

8208 has a Ba of .625

Varget is very close at .615
and is temp insensitive.

My bet is Hodgdon which owns IMR is doing the same thing w 8208 it did with all the Endurons.

Shutting them down so they dont compete with their H extreme series products.