Anyone know where 8208 powder is?

I've heard TAC isn't very temperature stable. To each their own if they shoot in constant Temps but it's a huge issue here in montana if the powder you are using isn't temp stable due to the difference in temperature throughout the year. I like to be able to verify my data and be confident that it is still what I verified.

I've heard TAC isn't very temperature stable. To each their own if they shoot in constant Temps but it's a huge issue here in montana if the powder you are using isn't temp stable due to the difference in temperature throughout the year. I like to be able to verify my data and be confident that it is still what I verified.
I shoot in GA - we have temp swings. I use it in heavy projectile 223 - 75ELDM and 80SMKs. TAC has been available last few years unlike some of the unicorn dust that may never come back.

Have you guys had any issues with TAC and velocity changes? I have heard it's not too stable and when you get 100 degree temp swings (90-100 in the summer and very often sub zero or substantially colder during hunting season) it makes a pretty big difference at 6 or 700 yards. I used to use some Reloader powders and I'd get several feet low during the season vs spring/summer/fall load development.

Is there some source to edumucate me on the Hodgdon back story as if it is temperature stable and who actually manufacturers each powder since Hodgdon does not manufacture any powders?

Sorry for hijacking this thread.

Clueless in my house.

Last edited:
I had worked up a load for one of my rifles a great many years ago with IMR powder in the winter in Calif. Temp was down to about 50ders. I revisited it in the summer. Temp had changes about 60 drs. Below out a primer with the same load. Never cross that bridge again. Change to H powders. Lost 100 pfs between the two different loads. No big deal, but I stop using IMR powders.
I read up on powder anymore on how temp effects the powder before purchasing any. No data, No buy! Varget, H4350, H4831, SC don't change much in temper change. I hunt in Montana and in AZ. Weather could vary as much 120 drs. That can change your velocities by as much 120fps. There are other powders that are fairly temp stable. N100's thur 170. There other aren't as temp as temp stable. (N540, N550 N560, & N570. Any other that start with 5, or 2, aren't. What I have been looking at is powders that are a little different burning rates or speeds, that are in-between the H powders. I have gotten to use them yet, but have them on hand.

Attachments

• EXTREME RIFLE POWDERS.pdf
    145.9 KB · Views: 103
Hodgdon Extreme powders (single base extruded) are made in Australia by Thales/ADI. Hodgoden Spherical powders (BL-C2,H335, H414, etc) are make by St. Marks in Florida. Winchester Ball powders are St Marks. IMR powders are make in Valleyfield, Quebec by General Dynamics with the exception of 8208XBR which is Thales/ADI. Accurate is St. Marks for Spherical and General Dynamics for extruded (4064,4350 but different from IMR). I'm not sure about Ramshot. They are made in Belgium by P. B. Clairmont, assuming Hodgdon doesn't change them to St Marks.

For the record St. Marks is part of General Dynamics.

A little bit on temperature stability and reloading. Many people, myself included learned the heard way about temperature effects on smokeless powder. I have pretty much stayed away from ball/spherical powders since then and use extruded powders that tend to have less sensitively.

There is no reason that accurate safe loads can't be developed with the less temperature stable powders once it is recognized as such. What it often requires is the development of seasonal loads, especially if pushing for maximum velocity/pressure. Ball/spherical powders benefit from being easily loaded accurately from volumetric powder dispenser while the extruded powders are more difficult.

As for temp stable, the Hodgdon Extreme powders are marketed as temperature stable, as are the Enduron IMR powders and Winchester StaBall powders. IMR 4064 seems to be fairly stable and GD has indicated that is was reformulated. 8208XBR is also marked as a temp stable powder and is from the Extreme powder supplier Thales/ADI. Vithavouri also claims to be more temperature stable.

thanks guys, a lot of interesting info. I'll see if I can find an old chart I had that shows some temp testing. I use 4831sc as well, it seems as good as it gets from my experience and from the tests I'll try to post

as promised

Attachments

• 2350.jpg
    2350.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 128