Anyone know what bullet is used in federal new terminal ascent?

I answered on this before but I was not sure. I assumed since speer is under the same roof that they made these bullets. They do not . Federal makes them in house but I have no idea when they will be available. As for the nickel it is harder than copper so I am thinking it should not foul as much as copper or gilding metal (copper-tin). I know the old british bullets many of them were cupro nickel and in all the Africa books I have no one mentioned it so it must not be a problem.
Since the nickel is harder, is it going to cause more wear to a barrel? If it doesn't foul as bad is there a reason more companies aren't using it?

Thanks
idcwby

Since the nickel is harder, is it going to cause more wear to a barrel? If it doesn't foul as bad is there a reason more companies aren't using it?

Thanks
idcwby
More expensive and probably harder to work and also harder on dies? Conjecture on my part but if you think about it it makes sense. But it is just a coating and maybe nickel is slipprier than copper or gilding metal? I am not in the factory or a metallurgic engineer so this is all a guess on my part. I know nickel cases are harder on dies.

More expensive and probably harder to work and also harder on dies? Conjecture on my part but if you think about it it makes sense. But it is just a coating and maybe nickel is slipprier than copper or gilding metal? I am not in the factory or a metallurgic engineer so this is all a guess on my part. I know nickel cases are harder on dies.
I am sure federal did exhaustive testing I am sure and if there was a problem they would not have used it. Being a thin coating maybe they did it to eliminate fouling but not hard on the barrel?

Thanks for your input. I'm thinking the same way you are about it. Maybe they are just trying to separate themselves from everyone else some. Whoever decides to use them can let us know after some shooting.

idcwby

Thanks for your input. I'm thinking the same way you are about it. Maybe they are just trying to separate themselves from everyone else some. Whoever decides to use them can let us know after some shooting.

idcwby
I have the TLR.s here but have not shot them yet. In my mind they are the best of all the long range bullet designs. The others are too soft for me. Well they are made for long range!!! Mmmm what if a big bull shows up at 75 yards and is quartering away? Oh mr elk please move to 700 yards and pose nicely:cool: I do not like carrying different rounds in each pocket for different presentations. The TLR is a bonded solid base. But you guys already know that. Basically an improved nosler partition. Always open but never blow.

I have the TLR.s here but have not shot them yet. In my mind they are the best of all the long range bullet designs. The others are too soft for me. Well they are made for long range!!! Mmmm what if a big bull shows up at 75 yards and is quartering away? Oh mr elk please move to 700 yards and pose nicely:cool: I do not like carrying different rounds in each pocket for different presentations. The TLR is a bonded solid base. But you guys already know that. Basically an improved nosler partition. Always open but never blow.
More than I can say for any of the others. Glorified target bullets included

More than I can say for any of the others. Glorified target bullets included

Ever since the first time I seen the Trophy Bearclaw bullets, the ones these came from, I thought it was a very good design. Just wish they made them in a heavier weights. Do you know the minimum velocity for them to open up?

idcwby

Ever since the first time I seen the Trophy Bearclaw bullets, the ones these came from, I thought it was a very good design. Just wish they made them in a heavier weights. Do you know the minimum velocity for them to open up?

idcwby
From what I have read they open 200 fps less than other long range bullets. That would be slow. I know I shot a coastal brown with a 400 from a 416 weatherby when Jack Carter still owned it. A quartering away and when I skinned him my knife scraped the bullet on the shoulder. The size of a quarter. But that is a completely different scenario than this. But the concept is the same. Yes I like trophy bonded bullets. If you get on midway there are reviews. This new bullet is a bit different in the nose is all I can see. More of a tangent ogive and I would think more forgiving in seating depth

From what I have read they open 200 fps less than other long range bullets. That would be slow. I know I shot a coastal brown with a 400 from a 416 weatherby when Jack Carter still owned it. A quartering away and when I skinned him my knife scraped the bullet on the shoulder. The size of a quarter. But that is a completely different scenario than this. But the concept is the same. Yes I like trophy bonded bullets. If you get on midway there are reviews. This new bullet is a bit different in the nose is all I can see. More of a tangent ogive and I would think more forgiving in seating depth
Decisions decisions. Lighter maybe but remember they lose very little weight and you can drive them faster. Same as a mono. When you lose no weight you do not need to start with as much

......Do you know the minimum velocity for them to open up?

idcwby
This is from the promo video
Based on some other indicators in the video, that 1350y should be about 1350fps, which is pretty minimal expansion but like.. super slow

Screenshot_20200125-085805-01.jpeg

If anyone's still following this thread, the terminal ascent ammo is readily available now. I bought some in 308 and 30-06 but haven't had the time to go to the range

I just bought a single box of TLR today in 30/06. They're 175gn. I'm planning to see what they'll group like tomorrow. I'll post pics, but this rifle is 100% untested, so I won't have much to compare it to. I did also pick up a box of Hornady loaded with their ELD-X bullet that are 178gn. So I'll be able to compare them both. But these two will be the baseline that I compare other test rounds to. I'll report my findings tomorrow.