Anyone into trees and plant a bunch, new property looking for ideas

55stone

Good afternoon guys, my wife and I bought 14 acres in NE Indiana this past winter and are having a house built, break ground next month (pertaining lumber doesn't keep going up). Anyways the property is 80% Hay field and the rest is CRP type stuff with a few small trees and so on.. I'm a big tree guy.. and wish the property was a solid woods lol.. Anyways. we are starting to plant some trees just to fill the property up with some. We have planted couple different kinds of Oaks(slow growers) and Maples. Some green giants up around the pole barn. I also recently bought some Shade Hybrid poplars since they are suppose to grow really fast and i like that idea. Has anyone planted any Shade Hybrid poplars? Also have been debating getting some Hybrid willow. They are kind of more of a screen than actually tree put there are reports out there that in good conditions they have grown 10'-20' feet in a year after established.. Anyways just looking for some ideas of some faster growing type trees to plant in certain areas. The one side of the property where the shooting range is, have a 400 yard range. I would like to plant trees of some sort the full length of the shooting range.. Anyways just looking for ideas and or suggestions or whatever.. Thanks guys

55stone, congratulations on getting your land.
I am located in Georgia in an area where pine is dominant. I have loblolly pine and some hardwood along a creek. Indiana is another type of soil and climate. My advice to you would be to contact the local Farm Service Bureau, Forestry Service and any other agency for free information and advice. Be aware of species tree, shrub, grass that are invasive and other facts about whatever you plant.
I utilize the services of the Farm Bureau and Georgia Forestry Division often.

Get well informed and layout a plan for for the next few years. Better not to make a mistake than have to fix it. Hope you and yours enjoy your land for generations to come. Tommytrees

Get some fruit trees of all different species. Helps bring targets in once they start producing 😜
IMO, don't do that. I planted about 12 (4x3) different fruit trees while living in Missouri and ended up with way too much fruit (after about 3-4 years). Surprisingly few "targets" other than birds.

Get some fruit trees of all different species. Helps bring targets in once they start producing 😜
thats a good point.. we already have quite a few deer walk through the backside of the property a few occasional turkeys and there seems to be a male and female pheasant that are out there about every night..

I am located in Georgia in an area where pine is dominant. I have loblolly pine and some hardwood along a creek. Indiana is another type of soil and climate. My advice to you would be to contact the local Farm Service Bureau, Forestry Service and any other agency for free information and advice. Be aware of species tree, shrub, grass that are invasive and other facts about whatever you plant.

Get well informed and layout a plan for for the next few years. Better not to make a mistake than have to fix it. Hope you and yours enjoy your land for generations to come. Tommytrees
that's good information about reaching out.. my problem I'm very impatient. and trees are something that's hard to rush lol. There are alot of white pine planted in this area also and we thought about putting them along the road way once the driveway and everything is cut in.. the house is 600 ish feet off the road but i still dont want to see (or hear as little as possible) from it. White pines grow fast for a evergreen and they are green still in the winter months which is nice with all the white and gloom all winter long here..

Sycamores and Sweet Gums both grow fairly fast compared to oaks. Both have seed pods that are a nuisance so they might not be suitable for around the house and yard mowing. My wife and I are doing the same thing, we bought 16 wooded acres 18 months ago and I just finished the house. Glad we finished before lumber prices went crazy. Good luck with your build.

They can also help you identify plants that may be toxic to certain animals. Several homeowners around here planted a type of Ewe in their flower gardens and ended up sick sick/dead elk in their yards.

Not familar with your are,call a local landscaper for info. Im in NWMT. I have polar ,blue spruce,and Austrian pine is one of the faster growers for me,have sandy loam for soil.Few fruit trees.Planted 200 over the years

Sequoiadendron giganteum - Giant Sequoia Trees are evergreen, grow like wildfire, and are beautiful.
iu