anyone hunting with scenars?

LDO

im using the smk's with very good results,but was just wondering how the terminal performance of the scenar compared-tia-dave

I haven't been able to try themn yet, but I will be using the 250 grainers for my .338 Lapua. I have to wait another month or so before I can get my barrel to test them, but I will let you know if you like.

that was 1 of the reasons why i was asking about the scenars,because i know they are tougher,after seeing alot of my mk bullets completely fragmented after hitting the 1000yd boards and then seeing the scenars still in pretty good shape after hitting the boards at the same distance-thx-dave

Shot a whitetail doe today at 330 yds. with a 6.5 139gr. Scenar out of my 6.5-284. The bullet went into tiny little fragments. Kind of like a V-max. SMK's seem togher to me. That is just one critter though. The next might be different.

thats the info im looking for im shooting the 142mk out of my 6.5-284 with really good results but was just wondering about the 139.the 142mk performed very well on elk this year and a muley that weighed around 300-325# and probably scores around 170-180,if i had to compare bullet performance the 142mk performs like a ballistic tip-mass damage good penetration.thx-dave

My experience is also somewhat limited, but it has been that Secnars are a pretty frangible bullet on game. I have hit a prairie dog at 1012 yards with a 6mm 105gn Secnar and was very surprised to see a little expansion from the exit wound.

I also shot a fallow buck at 200 yards in the heart/lung area with 6mm 105gn Secnar which stopped the deer in 5 paces. I was very happy with the terminal performance, though the meat loss of the on-side shoulder was fairly substantial.

I will most likely use a Sierra Matchking in preference to the Secnar next time I hunt a game animal.

Fergus

Got one big moose calf with a factory 338 LM Scenar round this fall. The post is somewhere in this board, it was about 300 yds, very clean wound channel, fast kill,good exit wound.

The bullet expanded correctly and broke big bones at exit, we checked things carefully when preparing the meat. Lungs in ,shoulder out. My rifle is a stock TRG-S.

Scenars are tougher than MK:s as far as I know, they need more velocity to open up. I have no practical game experience with MK:s -yet. Tomorrow may be different, deer season on.
grin.gif

Last I heard Dave King used alot of Scenars...

I was wanting some reports on them as well..

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.