Anyone hunt with Berger VLLD bullets?

imq707s

I've been having very good luck with Berger 168gr VLD bullets in my Ruger M77 Mark2 in 7mm RM. I can get pretty consistant 1" groups with them. I've been using 163gr's of H-4831 powder.

Are the Berger VLD's good for large game like elk, or will they just explode when they hit bone? The VLD's are hollow points, that's why I'm asking. Anyone hunt with VLD's?

Thanks
confused.gif

Ian

I used a 176 grain Cauterucio 7mm VLD to take a whitetail in 2002 and I took 2 mule deer in 2003 and an elk. None of these bullets were shot through heavy bone.

The jacket on Bob's 176 grain 7mm VLD bullets is a thicker 30 cal Matchking jacket. It is thicker, I think, than the Berger 7mmm jacket. I have not shot anything with a Berger.

I don't consider even the Cauterucio to be a bone-crushing elk bullet and certainly not the lighter-jacketed Berger version. But...for anything in the heart-lung kill-zone the Berger should be ok. Opinion only, but I would not want to rely on going through the shoulder bone of an elk with the Berger.

How fast does 163 grains of powder make them babies fly?
smile.gif

(edit) Whoops...I see we have a second "Ian". Welcome! I'll try to be more gentle with you than with that other "Ian".

[ 04-06-2004: Message edited by: Len Backus ]

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.