Anyone here shoot a 260

Well quite an informative thread, glad to see 260's are well liked and enjoyed by many. I'm a short action "308 family" cartridge guy, I put together a 7mm-08 and a 260 for short easy to carry deer rifles. The 7-08 has been harder to get really shooting good and has caused me to do a lot of searching for those ragged hole groups. The 260 has been the exact opposite and its really accurate and fun to shoot. I now have taken a varmint rifle I have and changed it over to 7-08 with a match heavy barrel and start this week on seeing if it will shoot good. A voice inside keeps saying why didn't you get a 260 barrel...........:) Guess I'm a slow study.

Well quite an informative thread, glad to see 260's are well liked and enjoyed by many. I'm a short action "308 family" cartridge guy, I put together a 7mm-08 and a 260 for short easy to carry deer rifles. The 7-08 has been harder to get really shooting good and has caused me to do a lot of searching for those ragged hole groups. The 260 has been the exact opposite and its really accurate and fun to shoot. I now have taken a varmint rifle I have and changed it over to 7-08 with a match heavy barrel and start this week on seeing if it will shoot good. A voice inside keeps saying why didn't you get a 260 barrel...........:) Guess I'm a slow study.
My 7-08 like 8208 xbr

I haven't tried some of the "Newer" powders in the 7/08 for fear of messing with the 1st and 2nd most accurate loads for it. H 414 has given me a .054 thousandths 5 shot group and Varget has been the next best powder for a .072 thousandths 5 shot group. I tried 4350 because it works well in my 260 AI, But H 414 has produced sub 1/2 MOA groups during fire forming in the 260 AI and looks to be the best so far.

J E CUSTOM

Well maybe I should give H414 a try in the 260 and 7-08, I don't have any but know where I can get some tomorrow while up at the range. What primer are you using? Thanks for the tip fella's........

Well maybe I should give H414 a try in the 260 and 7-08, I don't have any but know where I can get some tomorrow while up at the range. What primer are you using? Thanks for the tip fella's........

I have settled on the CCI BR2 for best accuracy and SD's Other primers gave good results, but the BR2's gave the best accuracy and most consistency.

Also beware the H414 is heat sensitive. The Varget was/is not, but not quite as good ln my rifle.

J E CUSTOM

I have settled on the CCI BR2 for best accuracy and SD's Other primers gave good results, but the BR2's gave the best accuracy and most consistency.

Also beware the H414 is heat sensitive. The Varget was/is not, but not quite as good ln my rifle.
Thank you sir, good supply of BR-2's in stock. Will try some on Tuesday at range, tried five powders today and one showed promise we'll see. My 260 came into its own with IMR4350 and shot some 1/4" groups, this is one gun that wants to shoot. Thanks again Dave

I'll 3 rd the run them through the resizing die no problems. Be sure you wear safety glasses just in case as you should always anyway.
The 260 rem is my second most favorite round right now . It's got all the get up and go you truly need until you get up to elk sized game . Just my opinion.! We've had good luck with imr 4350 powder and a 120 ballistic tip and a 130 gr Accubond . They flatten whitetail and make multiple shots into one ragged hole

I'll 3 rd the run them through the resizing die no problems. Be sure you wear safety glasses just in case as you should always anyway.
The 260 rem is my second most favorite round right now . It's got all the get up and go you truly need until you get up to elk sized game . Just my opinion.! We've had good luck with imr 4350 powder and a 120 ballistic tip and a 130 gr Accubond . They flatten whitetail and make multiple shots into one ragged hole
Agree with these opinion's, they mirror mine as well. I've used my universal decapper to remove any primers for over 20 years, safety glasses should always be worn. IMR4350 with 130 AB's are the perfect match for my 260 as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts