anyone have luck adjusting a savage axis trigger?

188MULE

Looking at buying a couple of these. One to always stay in the vehicle either a .243 or 25-06. One in a .223 that I may rebarrel to .300 wisper. Has any one done adjustments on these?

Fairly easy to improve an Axis trigger yourself. First you'll need to lighten the trigger spring. Some just shorten the factory spring by removing a coil or two. Others replace the spring with a lighter one, but you'll need a way to attach the new spring. Factory spring has a smaller diameter coil at one end that fits inside a hole. Some insert a pin, set screw, or something into the hole that can hold the new spring inplace. Then you have a notch on trigger that trigger sear engages that you can hone/polish to improve trigger pull. Trigger sear that engages notch can be lightly polished/honed too.

I replaced my trigger spring with one I found at local Ace hardware store and did the honing/polishing......pull is around 3 lbs now.

Timney makes a trigger for about $100 for the Axis. My son has the .243 and that was one of his Christmas presents. Midway has them. Bruce

Fairly easy to improve an Axis trigger yourself. First you'll need to lighten the trigger spring. Some just shorten the factory spring by removing a coil or two. Others replace the spring with a lighter one, but you'll need a way to attach the new spring. Factory spring has a smaller diameter coil at one end that fits inside a hole. Some insert a pin, set screw, or something into the hole that can hold the new spring inplace. Then you have a notch on trigger that trigger sear engages that you can hone/polish to improve trigger pull. Trigger sear that engages notch can be lightly polished/honed too.

I replaced my trigger spring with one I found at local Ace hardware store and did the honing/polishing......pull is around 3 lbs now.

+1 ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
I got a axis 308 for xmas
I took 2 loops of the top end of my spring and halved the weight to about 3 to 4 lbs, and it clicked straight back in, no pins or anything, this did introduce a tiny bit of creep, but i like the way i can grab the trigger, set it then squeeze.

As for sub moa, mine shoots 0.84 at 100 yards
i chest shot a goat at (lazer ranged) 406m, about 450 yards last sunday and am really happy with this rifle

thanks for the info, I ended up getting a rem in 25-06. I have a few buddies that have the axis and they say they are getting sub moa for three shots I'll forward the info to them since the trigger was their only complaint.

this info is money. by doing this you are saving a lot of money and if can stabilize your trigger control and breathing you will get spectacular results . i clipt the trigger right on the range and shot a group @200yds .5" group. i highly recomend this if you appreciate good guns and good marksminship.lightbulb

I got a deal on a used Axis XP in 22-250 for $275. Came with 3 live rounds of Remington Disintegrator and 17 pieces of once fired brass. Previous owner could not live with the trigger, which I estimate was at 6-8 lbs. I did the trigger trick here. I cut one coil at a time until I had 2 complete coils out. I did another 1/2 of a coil tonight and it is very good. I figure it's about a 2 1/2 to 3lb pull now with a tiny bit of creep.

I can't wait to get dies this week to start reloading for it.

There are may how - toos on youtube on the subject of reducing trigger pull on the axis. It is an easy do it yourself job as the above thread said. I really like my Axis 22-250 too. I am thinking of getting another one in 2506 later. Mine was $277 a week ago for the black stock model and included scope mounts.

Haven't bought one yet but was thinking of getting several in 223, with the 1-9" twist for my kids to shoot when they are old enough. A buddy has one in 22-250 and he found a savage accu trigger and put that in it. Took a little fitting but works great I guess. A gunsmith had one laying around and gave it to him cheap.

If your buddy has ANY info on how he got an Accutrigger to fit in an Axis action, I would love to see how he did it. I would really like to have an accutrigger in my Axis .223, but in talking to three different gunsmiths and a few other Axis owners, I've been led to believe it was not possible.
If it is, there will be a bunch of very happy Axis owners!

You can buy a replacement trigger spring for the axis on Amazon. I just got mine today and put it in just a few min. ago. It took about 5 min. to do.

You can buy a replacement trigger spring for the axis on Amazon. I just got mine today and put it in just a few min. ago. It took about 5 min. to do.
I went to the local ACE Hardware and bought the spring recommended over on the Savage Shooters forum. It worked great on the 223 I bought for my daughters.