Anyone have experience with the McWhorter 45 XML

JamesT750

hi all,
I've been looking at getting a 45 xml and was curious if anyone has had any experience with them. I've talked with Allan at McWhorther and everything seems like it is a wonderful gun and should beat what I have now especially with being able to shoot BH209. Allen says they are getting 2500fps with a 325gr parker using BH209.

hi all,
I've been looking at getting a 45 xml and was curious if anyone has had any experience with them. I've talked with Allan at McWhorther and everything seems like it is a wonderful gun and should beat what I have now especially with being able to shoot BH209. Allen says they are getting 2500fps with a 325gr parker using BH209.

I'd have to check with a guy I know who shoots LOTS of BH from custom 45cal rifles, but 2,500fps with a 325gr seems be a little high to me. If not, its on the top end.
Update before posting............
After checking with him before posting, he can get 2,400fps with a 275gr bullet with 143grs BH by volume 100grs weight IIRC.

I'd have to check with a guy I know who shoots LOTS of BH from custom 45cal rifles, but 2,500fps with a 325gr seems be a little high to me. If not, its on the top end.
Update before posting............
After checking with him before posting, he can get 2,400fps with a 275gr bullet with 143grs BH by volume 100grs weight IIRC.
thanks for the response encore, i thought it was a bit high too especially knowing i get about 2200 with a 300gr bullet and 3 T7 magnum pellets out of my bp express.

thanks for the response encore, i thought it was a bit high too especially knowing i get about 2200 with a 300gr bullet and 3 T7 magnum pellets out of my bp express.
LOL......... I'm getting 2280fps with the same bullet out of the same rifle, a BP Xpress too ;) She's ("Idacide") is a fine accurate rifle.

LOL......... I'm getting 2280fps with the same bullet out of the same rifle, a BP Xpress too ;) She's ("Idacide") is a fine accurate rifle.
2200 was just a guess as I've never had the opportunity to chronograph it, i wasn't to far off lol. its been a good gun for me just got the itch to try something a bit different.

2200 was just a guess as I've never had the opportunity to chronograph it, i wasn't to far off lol. its been a good gun for me just got the itch to try something a bit different.
IMO there are a couple really good builders out there who are building .45cals that have what I believe might be better ignition systems. IF...... I were to ever go to a .45, I'd most likely do either a Bestill Creations or Hankins rifle build, which both will shoot either smokeless or BH209. Need to master the Ultimate first ;)

IMO there are a couple really good builders out there who are building .45cals that have what I believe might be better ignition systems. IF...... I were to ever go to a .45, I'd most likely do either a Bestill Creations or Hankins rifle build, which both will shoot either smokeless or BH209. Need to master the Ultimate first ;)
I've looked into the Hankins a little and they seem very impressive. the 45xml will do smokeless too but unfortunately, I cant use it for hunting. Part of the reason I'm looking at a different muzzleloader is that I'm about ready to start a switch barrel rifle build and figured id be a good time to experiment with only having to get a smith to fit their barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.