Anyone Have Experience w/ PTG Blueprinted Actions

messmaker

I am very interested in building off of one of there Rem. SA extreme combo kits. Does anyone have experience with these? I know there reamers are among the best and out there and I would expect the action to be of quality work as well. anybody that has or has had one can you help make the decision on this. Thanks in advance

I am very interested in building off of one of there Rem. SA extreme combo kits. Does anyone have experience with these? I know there reamers are among the best and out there and I would expect the action to be of quality work as well. anybody that has or has had one can you help make the decision on this. Thanks in advance

I have no dog in this fight, but the fact that PTG has made a pretty good living off the gunsmiths across the country selling the tools to blueprint actions, for them to start under cutting their customers like that seems like bad form.

If they blue printed it with their tools, then I am sure they are fine, I would look up a local guy that bought the tools to do it and install the barrel for you. Support the local guy if possible.

Willys46

I appreciate the response but it's heck of a deal on a already blueprinted action and I don't have donor action as of right now. Anyone with first hand experience would be great.

Most things I like to try and keep local but a rifle that I'm going to want to be as precise as possible with a moderate wait time and meets my budget will go to whoever does the best work. Not trying to be argumentative but with how much I will have into this rifle it's going to go to who's does the best job.

If their receiver is anywhere near the quality of the PTG bolt I got from them you are good to go. Very impressed with my PTG bolt.

I barreled a SA a customer supplied. NOT impressed! (not impressed with their reamers, either!) The action arrived with NO specs supplied for barrel thread diameter. I measured in 3 different places and got 3 different measurements. I decided to call PT&G and ask. The answer I got wasn't a 'good' one. I was told it has an 1 1/16-16tpi thread. Previous experience with PT&G told me not to disagree or ask for someone more knowledgable. That threaded hole was definately NOT 1 1/16" as I have many Remington barrels in the scrap "pile" and I tried several. They all fit sloppily. I know how to measue, too,,,,, been using precision measuing tools since 1973. The threads had been enlarged, but by how much? My solution was to turn a "stub" of CR over sized and thread it 'till it fit the action the way I wanted it to. This took an extra 45 minutes of my time. I 'charged' for that time. The thread ended up being enlarged by .010" to 1 .072". This info should have been supplied with the action if they (PT&G) are going to supply "trued" actions. To top it off, their "trued" threads showed evidence of being "trued" with their OS tap (and I was informed by another gunsmith who has a business arranement with PT&G that they use a piloted tap). Piloted or not, most accuracy minded gunsmiths single point barrel tenon threads. These "piloted truing tools" are hobbiest tools , IMO.This customer does all the work, besides barrel fitting and chambering, himself. I've not heard back with an accuracy report, yet. But I will, when he has time to complete his build and break it in. With the lack of info provided with the action, the poor customer service I get over the phone and the fact they used a piloted tap instead of single point threading barrel tenon threads, I wouldn't buy one. I buy their bolts. I've had no problems with them yet, and they seem to be they only source. I've used their Oberndorf bottom metal when I needed something not obtainable elsewhere. They're kinda' like shopping at Walmart. Ya' get what ya' pay for! Tools and supplies for the masses, not for the 'particular'. Shop wherever you want to.

I barreled a SA a customer supplied. NOT impressed! (not impressed with their reamers, either!) The action arrived with NO specs supplied for barrel thread diameter. I measured in 3 different places and got 3 different measurements. I decided to call PT&G and ask. The answer I got wasn't a 'good' one. I was told it has an 1 1/16-16tpi thread. Previous experience with PT&G told me not to disagree or ask for someone more knowledgable. That threaded hole was definately NOT 1 1/16" as I have many Remington barrels in the scrap "pile" and I tried several. They all fit sloppily. I know how to measue, too,,,,, been using precision measuing tools since 1973. The threads had been enlarged, but by how much? My solution was to turn a "stub" of CR over sized and thread it 'till it fit the action the way I wanted it to. This took an extra 45 minutes of my time. I 'charged' for that time. The thread ended up being enlarged by .010" to 1 .072". This info should have been supplied with the action if they (PT&G) are going to supply "trued" actions. To top it off, their "trued" threads showed evidence of being "trued" with their OS tap (and I was informed by another gunsmith who has a business arranement with PT&G that they use a piloted tap). Piloted or not, most accuracy minded gunsmiths single point barrel tenon threads. These "piloted truing tools" are hobbiest tools , IMO.This customer does all the work, besides barrel fitting and chambering, himself. I've not heard back with an accuracy report, yet. But I will, when he has time to complete his build and break it in. With the lack of info provided with the action, the poor customer service I get over the phone and the fact they used a piloted tap instead of single point threading barrel tenon threads, I wouldn't buy one. I buy their bolts. I've had no problems with them yet, and they seem to be they only source. I've used their Oberndorf bottom metal when I needed something not obtainable elsewhere. They're kinda' like shopping at Walmart. Ya' get what ya' pay for! Tools and supplies for the masses, not for the 'particular'. Shop wherever you want to.

Who do you use for your reamers?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.