Anyone have a Tikka in 300 WSM?

4th_point

Hi guys,

I'm wondering if anyone is using 200gr bullets with their Tikka in 300 WSM. I had one a few years ago that shot well (1 MOA with 180gr factory ammo), but I foolishly sold that rifle. Since I didn't reload at that time, I never paid any attention to what the max COAL was for the WSM in that rifle. I've searched this forum and others and haven't find the info I want. Maybe I need to head to the gunstore with my calipers! :D

Questions:

1. What COAL are you able to use in the Tikka mags for WSM cartridges?

2. What velocities are you getting with 200gr bullets? Most interested in the 200gr Accubonds.

Thanks,

Jason

By the way, I do have a T3 in 300 Win Mag. I load 200gr Accubonds to 3.34" (could go a touch longer) with Hodgdon's max charge of Retumbo. Velocity is low, but I'm getting 1/2" groups (3-shot) at 100 yards. :) This rifle has a 6-24x50mm Bushnell tactical, ACI, level, 20 MOA rail, etc. on it and weighs 9 lbs total. I got it to be my "budget 600 yard deer/elk" rifle. I'm thinking of getting another T3 in 300 Win or 300 WSM for a lightweight back-up. I'd probably put a lighter and more compact scope on the new T3.

Last edited:
I can't help with the 200gr as I have not tried them, I use 180 ct bst and recently switched to the 190 berger. The magazine will hold and feed 2.904" which is my vld oal. calipers will show 2.92" in the mag but I don't know if it would feed. I hear you can use a long action bolt stop and 300 long mag to gain some room for longer loads. All tikkas are actually long action and the mag wells are the same, so it sounds logical and I am going to try it but have not had a long mag to test yet. If you have a 300 long magazine and some wsm ammo let me know if the mag will hold it. Good luck

Thanks for the info D. I'll check to see if a WSM will fit the L-magazine. Good idea, thank you.

Jason

FYI- WSM brass does fit the L-mag from my 300 WM. Its tight so you'd have to trim the feed lips and loading area a bit. A little bit of careful sanding should do the trick.

I don't know about feeding though since I only have a T3 in Win Mag, and not WSM.

Outstanding! Thank you for confirming that in the real world and posting your findings. I have checked brownells several times in recent months for the bolt release and they always had it in stock until yesterday when I decided I would order it. I will give them the rest of dear season to restock before I start grinding on the one thats in it. Thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.