Anyone got their hands on a 17WSM yet?

varmintH8R

I am interested to get some feedback on the new super-rimfire. I've seen some reviews at the range, but would love to hear how it performs "on-critter". Gory pictures are encouraged.

Just picked one up yesterday at a local gun shop. Just happened to call just as the first one hit the receiving department. Unfortunately they haven't got any ammo for it yet. The only place I can find it on line right now is Gunbroker.com and a $14.99 box of bullets is bringing a minimum of $39.99. I refuse to feed the price gougers so I'll wait till they get some in at Midway or Cabelas. If anyone hears of any available somewhere else, please let me know.

Until then, all I can give you is first impressions. First off, I think this is the cheapest looking stock I've ever seen on a gun. It's made of thin webbed plastic that wiggles in the foreend like a plastic coat hanger. The action/barrel look a little better, but not much. The trigger group is housed in what appears to be pot metal and the Accu Trigger weight is adjusted with pull up and turn plastic knob. The magazine is an eight round rotary style detachable clip that is held in with a plastic tab. The magazine well/trigger guard assembly is also held in with a plastic release tab. This cover must be removed to get to the two action screws. All in all, this rifle that I payed $329 for should have only cost about $99.

As far as how well it shoots, I'll hold off that opinion until I get a chance to shoot it. If it shoots really well, I can forgive how cheap looking it is.

Stumbled into 4 boxes of shell this afternoon at Dunhams Sporting Goods. They had 3 boxes of the Winchester 25 gr. BTs and one box of the 20 gr. BTs. I mounted a set of Weaver steel rings and a Leupold 3-9 scope. I'll try and get it sighted in tomorrow and see if it will shoot.

Nice! Good find. I'm interested to hear your results. Hard to judge a savage by its fit and finish...

I have a 17hmr that looks like my 5 year old put it together. Like I rough-saw a maple tree with a chainsaw, hit it with some 80grit, and slap some Formica on it.....

And that crappy little toy shoots LIGHTS OUT. Makes me feel like an elitist snob - it functions perfectly but is so - well - unrefined...

We have had 2 Savages in at the store I work at and a handful of the 20 and 25 grain bullets. I really wanted a 17WSM. I do not want to offend anyone that has one but I think the rifle is way too cheap. The bolts stick about half way back and rotates way to the left when all the way back. The stock is really thin and twisty. Quick follow up shots would be a challenge in my opinion. We sell the ammo for $16.99 I believe. I read that two other rifle manufactures will be making rifles for the 17WSM but I have not seen who they are. I believe I will wait to see who they are. I am a huge Savage fan but they dropped the ball on this rifle, in my humble opinion.

I've got one and it is fun to shoot! Shot a 3/8" group at 100 with the 25gr bullets as that is all I can get my hands on right now. The 25gr bullets put down a badger the other day on shot and it did not move. It is also devastating on rabbits as to be expected. When I head back to ND, I will try to get a coyote.

Stock does look and feel cheap with everything being plastic. Accuracy is excellent IMO for how much the gun costs. Only gripe I really have is I have had 2 misfires in about 30 rounds. From what I have heard, they only shipped a limited number boxes of ammo to see how it performed. Hopefully the next batch they ship out will have this issue fixed.

We have had 2 Savages in at the store I work at and a handful of the 20 and 25 grain bullets. I really wanted a 17WSM. I do not want to offend anyone that has one but I think the rifle is way too cheap. The bolts stick about half way back and rotates way to the left when all the way back. The stock is really thin and twisty. Quick follow up shots would be a challenge in my opinion. We sell the ammo for $16.99 I believe. I read that two other rifle manufactures will be making rifles for the 17WSM but I have not seen who they are. I believe I will wait to see who they are. I am a huge Savage fan but they dropped the ball on this rifle, in my humble opinion.

According to Volquartsens website, they are working on one. And from what I hear CZ is also going to make a gun.

I was going to purchase one but when I got to the gun shop the rifle felt flimsy and poorly made. The barrel looks like a pencil, the for end can be squeezed, the bolt is long and awkward, and the rotary magazine takes a huge chunk out of the center of the rifle. I was spoiled by my savage model 93GV in 17 HMR. That rifle was 250 and 100x better than the savage 17 wsm which was around the 350 ball park.

I want one really bad but I refuse to buy a Savage. Hopefully another company will jump on board

https://www.volquartsen.com/page/17wsm
I will be getting one when they come out. Volquartsen puts out some awesome rimfire rifles, and I am sure this one will be no different. For a walking / truck gun, the Savage is awesome. It may feel cheap and flimsy, but my buddy and I consistently shoot 3/8" groups. I don't care how flimsy and cheap it feels, it is super light and shoots great.

Thanks for all of the replies. I don't have issues with the fit/finish issues at Savage as long as they shoot. I've heard in a number of places there are issues with the bolt marring the stock if rotated prematurely. THAT is a problem to me.

I had not heard CZ had announced threw were going to do a 17WSM, but that sounds interesting.

The round sounds interesting, but I can't force myself to buy a Savage.
With all the trouble getting any rimfire ammo now, I'll be watching... and waiting.

I've had mine about 2 months. I've shot a few hundred rounds and killed numerous varmints with it. It's a fun little gun and is accurate with the 20 grain V-MAX loads (I have not shot the 25 grain yet).

Here's a picture from last week's prairie dog hunting trip (a buddy of mine painted the gunstock). One shot at 197 yards (I put him in the tree for the beauty shot).

It does quite a number on smaller varmints. Damage is in the same class of the 5mm rimfire, but much flatter shooting.

Eric :cool:

Attachments

• Savage-BMAG-Camo-4.jpg
    Savage-BMAG-Camo-4.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 158
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.