Anyone Familiar with Thermal Rifle Scopes?

Don't get an ATN thermal.

AGM rattler 35 or Bering hogster 35 will get you to a little over 200 for shooting. You'll be able to see critters way further. Pulsar is good too for a little more money. Obviously there's better stuff for even more money.

I really like having a handheld thermal scanner so you don't have to hold your rifle and scan with that the entire time. Something like the AGM tiapan 19.

If you want to stay on budget get a handheld thermal and a digital night vision scope with an upgraded ir illuminator. Something like the wraith 4k and sniper hog lights lr66x. I had the cheaper wraith hd for a while and it actually works very well for the price with the better ir. I just didn't like the narrow fov on the 4x. The 4k version is 3x I think. The negatives to digital nv for me were that you can't see through brush very well as the ir light reflects off and you just see the brush and not past it. The other is the contrast, it was sometimes hard to see a brown coyote on a brown picked bean field. You can typically see their eyes reflecting though.

After several months of research,
here's what I bought to hunt hogs and coyotes with, on an AR 10
platform

Check Link right below:

Digex C50: Uncover the Color Twilight Mode and More | Pulsar

How great would it be to view objects in the cloak of darkness? Well, now you can! The Digex C50 comes with a color twilight mode that helps you see in the dark

You may find this cheaper, but beware it may not include the illuminator.

Heres where I purchased:

These folks seem really really knowledgeable and service oriented.

Check Link Right below:
Pulsar Digex C50 3.5-14 Digital color day and night riflescope PL76635L

One proviso.....I have not tested mine yet in fact, but vs. all the rest this one seems a big bang for the buck on:

battery life
both day to night and color
image definition and quality
illuminator distances and quality
Audio and video
remote control w phone app
USB port
SD card capable
Traditional scope appearance
Pulsar reputation

Downside is weight.
34 oz.
This package with the illuminator
cost less than $1500.00 lots less.

Check w Fox Optics in Missourri.

Better deals than many places like Optics Planet, etc. Very knowledgeable too.

I'd stay away from digital or light intensification systems if shooting around bushes or trees. My 1st NVS was the best ATT digital/light-intensifier money could buy. Same as used by the military at the time. Hated it only because I hunted hogs around trees. On a totally open unobstructed field, they were excellent. Looking into the trees was super aggravating. Could not see hogs I knew were standing in the shadows of trees in the starlight/moon light and the illuminator reflected off the smallest branches/leaves that were near me blinding the scope. After years of being frustrated from not being able to see hogs in the trees, I switched to the Bering Yoter Thermal and now I can easily see hogs standing in the trees or in the open. Close branches nolonger interfere. Animals also are much, much easier to quickly spot with a thermal and seem to glow in the dark, whereas with digital scopes animals are camouflaged and hard to pick out from the background. I went with the Bering Hogster/Yoter over the Pulsar because during deer season the Hogster is small and very light weight to carry in my pocket as a spotter when approaching my stand, etc. Comes with a very good quick disconnect so you don't loose your zero on the rifle it was removed.

I'd stay away from digital or light intensification systems if shooting around bushes or trees. My 1st NVS was the best ATT digital/light-intensifier money could buy. Same as used by the military at the time. Hated it only because I hunted hogs around trees. On a totally open unobstructed field, they were excellent. Looking into the trees was super aggravating. Could not see hogs I knew were standing in the shadows of trees in the starlight/moon light and the illuminator reflected off the smallest branches/leaves that were near me blinding the scope. After years of being frustrated from not being able to see hogs in the trees, I switched to the Bering Yoter Thermal and now I can easily see hogs standing in the trees or in the open. Close branches nolonger interfere. Animals also are much, much easier to quickly spot with a thermal and seem to glow in the dark, whereas with digital scopes animals are camouflaged and hard to pick out from the background. I went with the Bering Hogster/Yoter over the Pulsar because during deer season the Hogster is small and very light weight to carry in my pocket as a spotter when approaching my stand, etc. Comes with a very good quick disconnect so you don't loose your zero on the rifle it was removed.
I really like the idea of the quick disconnect and ability to use as a spotter.

Here's what I will mount my pulsar Digex C50 with on AR10 platform.

American Defense - Recon Mount, fits most picatenny rails, and is
quick release and remount, interchangeable between rifles or
other systems, or to take off and remount on the same rifle quickly.

They cost anywhere from $180-210.

Here's what I will mount my pulsar Digex C50 with on AR10 platform.

American Defense - Recon Mount, fits most picatenny rails, and is
quick release and remount, interchangeable between rifles or
other systems, or to take off and remount on the same rifle quickly.

They cost anywhere from $180-210.

ADM makes some of the best quick detach mounts on the market.

Did you realize the Hogster/Yoter comes with a LaRue QD mount? One of the best QD mounts and you don't have to buy a separate QD mount as it's included in the price.
I saw that. Looks like AGM Rattler comes with an ADM mount. Both look to be pretty good options.

At the recommendation of the optics dealer, I bought an ADM mount to use with my Pulsar Thermion. It may have worked out for an optic mounted on an AR rifle but it was way to high when used on my bolt rifle with a pic rail.

Just something to consider depending on what platform will be under your thermal.

Pulsar, bearing, agm all make great options. I have a Pulsar Thermion 2 Xq38. Its a very nice setup. But I have been looking at those AGM adders that just came out. The adder has a 3x optical zoom. The xq38 runs 3299 most places new. The adder can be picked up for $2499 for the lowest model in the line.

If you are doing a lot of long night hunts on multiple stands I definatly suggest getting a handheld scanner. It will save your back from leaning over a tripod and spinning in circles to spot game. I have an AGM TM15-384. Honestly now that I have the xq38 I really need to upgrade to a better handheld.

I always recommend checking out the late night vision show on youtube or their podcast on spotify. They do a ton of reviews and are very good about helping you decide what the best optic is for your budget and what you want to do.

https://www.youtube.com/c/TheLateNightVisionShow

Thank you to all for your input!

After a lot of research and speaking with those who use thermals on a daily basis, I think I've narrowed down to the new Pulsar Talion XQ38. Seems to be a perfect fit for my current needs.

I finally got out to sight in my Digex C50 scope on AR10.

The red target was my daylight 100 yard sight in on the scope.

The orange target was 9:30 at night in the dark at 100 yards.

Looks like the POI shifted on me?

1) Could be that I rotated the IR light to the right some and this changed POI.

2) Could be I sighted and held different at night due to my own vision somehow?

3) Could be the software in the scope needs you to sight it at night to be on, and sighting in daylight doesnt translate perfectly to night
sight in?

Not sure.....got some more work to figure this out. But if anyone else has similar experience, let me know.

Attachments

• 20221016_194522.jpg
    20221016_194522.jpg
    842.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 20221016_194535.jpg
    20221016_194535.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
Software may be the issue but I highly doubt the it makes a difference. I know it doesn't on my sightmark photon. It is in a quick release mount and swivels. It's moved and tweaked almost every stand and never changes poi.