Anyone ever get banned from a forum?

Almost didn't add this, but want to underscore how a first experience in a new community can spark interest and enthusiasm in a new member or shut down them down and stigmatize the community.

A little over 4 years ago, I started following a site run by a former operator and 0317/8541 instructor who is well known. He has many sponsors, runs several competitions, a podcast and is respected as an authority. The site offered "new" on-line tutorials for a nominal fee and I signed up again hoping to up my knowledge. Digging in, I found pages still populated with placeholder language - *maybe* his web developer had not updated all of the links to the new pages? I posted my discovery on the general forum and asked when the content was due to be uploaded. I was TROUNCED my the moderator/administrator/owner -- "No, you're using the site wrong! Learn how to use the site before posting!" Then came the "new guys don't know **** and always want to start it..." "Here's your money back, good riddance." Run off the chest-beaters forum, I found LRH a little while later; as a civilian and newbie I was accepted and learned a great deal in a short time and continue to learn more. ALL of my transactions in the classifieds here have been excellent with bona-fide, trustworthy and polite individuals. Thanks to this LR group for being a patient, helpful community and with far less drama.

Got banned from the Hide, after calling out the little twerp that runs it for screwing me out of some advertising that I paid for. Never seen so many people banned from any other site. Little "Napoleon" has some mental issues. Lol!
"Some"? He's got one long, run-on issue that spills over the site, to the podcast and probably his competitions, too. I was bullied-off for questioning some place-holder pages still among the on-line tutorials. A tactless ***.

At times, the most knowledgeable people have to lay it out, or bow out, and today we see too much of people in the know shutting down. No one wins here, and welcome to our future.
I agree with this statement. Unfortunately, we lost one of the outstanding members that I look up to. Jerry (@J E Custom), but his legacy will stay with us for most of us. He has his humble way of getting the point across that makes readers receptive, and despite his wisdom, he is never too proud to admit his errs or learn new things.

People will naturally gravitate to others that they share a common interest, beliefs, values, etc. It has been my personal experience that those that are non-confrontational in an open forum or reach a saturation point (which most of the controversial threads become confrontational, except for the beer and whiskey threads 😇 ) do it via PM. It does not necessarily mean they bow out or shutting down. Sometimes they go directly to members they think can offer the advice they are seeking. JMHHO, but I am only an average hunter. Cheers!

Ed

I agree with this statement. Unfortunately, we lost one of the outstanding members that I look up to. Jerry (@J E Custom), but his legacy will stay with us for most of us. He has his humble way of getting the point across that makes readers receptive, and despite his wisdom, he is never too proud to admit his errs or learn new things.

People will naturally gravitate to others that they share a common interest, beliefs, values, etc. It has been my personal experience that those that are non-confrontational in an open forum or reach a saturation point (which most of the controversial threads become confrontational, except for the beer and whiskey threads 😇 ) do it via PM. It does not necessarily mean they bow out or shutting down. Sometimes they go directly to members they think can offer the advice they are seeking. JMHHO, but I am only an average hunter. Cheers!

Ed
Yes, forgot about the PM. I think todays crowd rejects mentors in general, lost art. I still tell friends I help not to stop with me, get another opinion. It works until something gets thrown back at you, does me anyway.

Yes, forgot about the PM. I think todays crowd rejects mentors in general, lost art. I still tell friends I help not to stop with me, get another opinion. It works until something gets thrown back at you, does me anyway.
I am a continuous learner and learned early on that there is always somebody more knowledgeable and has more real-world experience than I am, and most of them are always willing and able to lend a helping hand.

A while back, I was at church and when church was over, there was an elderly gentleman sitting in the passenger seat of his car right in front of the church. He was sitting there with his oxygen tank hooked up to his nose and was smoking a cigarette. His little ol wife came out and was instantly embarrassed by his actions at church. She started jumping on him about smoking at church and having his oxygen tank hooked up. She went on for about a minute griping at him and he just sat there, quiet and composed, smoking his cigarrette.

When she was done griping, he took a big long puff of his cigarette, looked up at her and grumbled in a raspy voice "Martha! SHUT UP!" . I looked over at my wife whose mouth was hung wide open in shock and I said, "Man, I can't wait to get old enough to be that guy!" My wife was not impressed.

Most times it's best to just keep my mouth shut but sometimes you gotta stand up for what is right. I use the ignore button a lot now a days.

Muddyboots,
No Australians I know drink Fosters.
It's not a full bodied beer like other beers here.
We have a beer here called Furphy, it's fairly new but is a fantastic beer on a hot summer day.

Cheers.
When I first met Ms LRNut she had a house south of Perth, and we still visit Oz a lot to see our friends there. Never seen anyone drink a Fosters, nor heard anyone say "crikey."

When I first met Ms LRNut she had a house south of Perth, and we still visit Oz a lot to see our friends there. Never seen anyone drink a Fosters, nor heard anyone say "crikey."
Foster's has not been commonly available in years. Obviously because it was not Popular, maybe a little in the Southern state of Victoria. Where it's made.

It was exported and known around the world.

It was surpassed in popularity by its Evil Twin, Victoria Bitter aka. VB. It's popular with the indigenous population.

Avoid the VB unless you have a high tolerance to chemical as the average person is likely to get headaches from Vitamin B.

I can't do it, but the Carlton Draught is a good brew, Melbourne Bitter is ok. Crown Lager, is the premium beer of Carlton United Brewery who own all of those labels.

Crikey was a Steve Irwin phrase. He was known for it and he used it on Toyota commercials but I did not see them in my area.

Similar to the media, some of these forums don't believe in free speech and ban you for anything. I was banned on FB about 3 years ago and never went back. I also was a member of another site and I made some constructive criticism to the forum moderator so he suspended me. Mind you this was a private message and only him and I could see it. I then continued and he ultimately banned me and then made a post on one of his general boards acting like I was some type of garbage person when I couldn't even tell my side of the story. End of the day if they ban you who cares. Find somewhere else to go. People like to be "control freaks" even on the internet and they think banning people will make them feel like they're in control and have authority over others. This comment has nothing to do with this site btw. As far as I'm concerned this site is run pretty well for the most part.

Last edited:
Similar to the media, some of these forums don't believe in free speech and ban you for anything. I was banned on FB about 3 years ago and never went back. I also was a member of another site and I made some constructive criticism to the forum moderator so he suspended me. Mind you this was a private message and only him and I could see it. I then continued and he ultimately banned me and then made a post on one of his general boards acting like I was some type of garbage person when I couldn't even tell my side of the story. End of the day if they ban you who cares. Find somewhere else to go. People like to be "control freaks" even on the internet and they think banning people will make them feel like they're in control and have authority over others. This comment has nothing to do with this site btw. As far as I'm concerned this site is run pretty well for the most part.
Hip HIP hooray..Amen well said

This site is well run, the members are very respectful of each other and are here for good intentions. The creators and administrators state the mission and set the context. The contributors drive the content and if they understand and stick to the mission, the results are good content in good context. When we make the mistake of confusing the "internet" and social media platforms with protected Free Speech outlets, we've forgotten that we're moving in a curated space. FB is a dog's breakfast and is no more "free" than public high school with hall monitors and guidance counselors everywhere. When someone says, "MY f/b page", they've missed the whole point - its "members" are the product being bought and sold, contributing content to feed the database. Admins of boards, including F/B aren't required to listen to "our side of the story" - they are echo chambers of the creators' context and if the creator is a control freak, the cracks show, quickly.