anyone ever bore scope a new savage LRPV?

I don't exactly know how to lap a barrel but I do perform a proper break in on every rifle I get. This seems to "season" them and pave the way for accuracy and easy (fast) clean up. I have had more luck with these two traits coming together in SS barrels than in CM. Just my experience though. JohnnyK.

LRPV barrels are decent for facory barrels but they still should be broken in properly. An easy way to do this is to use David Tubb's Final Finish. This is the quickest and easiest way to break in any barrel. I even use his Throat Maintenance kit for breaking in match barrels. I used to use 3M polishing paper to lap the barrels in, which worked good but took hours to do. You will be very happy with the LRPV as they are tack drivers.

LRPV barrels are decent for facory barrels but they still should be broken in properly. An easy way to do this is to use David Tubb's Final Finish. This is the quickest and easiest way to break in any barrel. I even use his Throat Maintenance kit for breaking in match barrels. I used to use 3M polishing paper to lap the barrels in, which worked good but took hours to do. You will be very happy with the LRPV as they are tack drivers.

tubbs is what ive used in the past as well

I've bore-scoped a handful of barrels from 12 F/TRs, F-Class, & Palma rifles, if that counts ;)

I've also had the opportunity to walk through the factory and look at the barrels in various stages of production.

They aren't lapped, hand or otherwise, so any marks from the gun-drilling or reaming are going to remain. The good news is that the barrels still seem to shoot pretty well despite the tooling marks that get left behind. Some cartridges seem to be fairly tolerant of this - .308 Win in particular.

I don't follow any particular break-in regimen beyond cleaning thoroughly and scrubbing with a mild abrasive after each trip to the range for the first hundred or so rounds. As time goes on, I stretch that out to where its not uncommon for me to shoot an entire weekend tournament (250+rds) and not really worry whether the barrel was clean when I started or not.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.