Anyone else ever have a 2-for-1?

hifidelity

Took a 150 yard shot at a grown doe Monday evening, blew a quarter sized hole through the first one, and one a bit larger than a baseball in the second doe on the other side of the first one. Gun is a Sendero SSF 300RUM, shooting 180g Partitions. I wasn't expecting that....

Interesting topic. I have done two, one intentional and one weird one. Intentional was two does side by side, dropped them both with a 100 Hornady from a .257 Weatherby. They were three feet apart.

Weird one was the time I shot a large doe thru the neck at about 75 yards with a .223 Rem. 55 gr. Fed. round and a few seconds later a small buck came running down the hill from her upper right with blood streaming from his jugular - saw him drop also. That little bullet not only angled back to the right but deflected up, and the poor forkhorn was in the wrong spot at the wrong time. This happened in aspen cover near a farmer's yard - the guy was experiencing severe depredation problems and I had to kill some deer for some reason at the time. I had no idea the buck was standing up above me and the doe. I did know that there was not livestock and no people in the area at that time - I was essentially in the back corner of a very large farm yard. Thought the shot was very safe since there was a hill for a backstop, fairly open aspen cover and could see good behind the doe.

I took a six point once in a winter wheat field, not knowing that there was a doe with her head down behind him. Double lung shot him and broke her neck at the shoulder junction...

Was really dissapointed when I looked into the thread. I thought you were going to allow me to talk about the time I did sisters!

tongue.gif
grin.gif
tongue.gif
@ Randy !

Well,I never did that. I mostly hunt moose and I have passed on those double shots several times,always will pass, once there were three in a row... not my piece of cake.

Sometimes one is more than enough to track.

I've intentionally shot several doubles when shooting crop damage deer. Generally shoot yearlings at two double lung but other times I've shot neck to double lung. Not a good hunting scenario but efficient for crop damage.

This is a real flame-fest type post on standard hunting boards...but then again so is hunting with match bullets.

Randy...

We need to exchange stories sometime...

I've got a few I'm sure you'd like!!!

I've done two Pronhorn Antalope with one shot. My budy keep telling me to shoot and I keep saying that the bullet would pass though the first and kill the second. They where side by side and not moving so he said to go for it and he would use his tag on the second one if it went down (he didn't think it would). The 120gr solid base from my 6.5x55 resulted in his tagging out without firing a shot. The first one bolted about 25m and crashed and the second just fell on the spot.

I took my hunting buddy to get his first big game animal in Alaska.He was 11 at the time.We were caribou hunting and saw a herd on top of a mountain.We climbed about 5,500 ft up from where we started.It was about a 3 mile hike.We snuck up to the caribou to within about 100 yards.I saw two fighting and we watched.Then one of the little caribou looked over the ledge and shook his head at us.The herd took off.We ran around the corner to catch them before they went over the mountain.I laid down on a rock to rest my rifle.I shot the first bull I saw with a shovel at 400 yards using my 338-378 with 250 gr partitions.I told my hunting buddy to lay down and get him one.There were caribou all over the hill.He had never shot my gun.I told him it kicked like a 20 ga which it does.He shot a bull and I saw two fall through my spotting scope.He was 11 years old and had shot his first two caribou with one shot.We about died getting meat down on our backs his parents helped.It was one of my funnest hunts ever.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts