Anyone Done any LR Slugging w/Marlin 55 Bolt Gun?

edward hogan

The one I have has a 30" barrel, smooth of course, and came with a base for an aperture rear sight. Has a bead up front. The only 30" model 55 I've ever seen. Has the 2rd detachable magazine and sling swivels on the factory walnut stock w/red pad.

Have thought of silver soldering a front ramp and finding an aperture, maybe cut it down for a brush gun for deep woods AK. Very nice old-time bolt shotgun.

Never used a Marlin, but I have with a bolt Mossberg. Rifle sights on a smooth bore do wonders! I have soldered on adjustable sights on 3-4 and have been impressed. Never shot them on paper for groups, and I'm not sure what you consider LR, but with the one I still have, I have no problem shooting 120 yards or so. That's as far as I have shot it! It's all relative though, I wouldn't say there as good as a rifled slug gun with sabots, but it definitely extends the range.....Good luck!

I remember the Marlin , mostly the super goose gun with its 36 inch barrel . I doubt you would hurt anything trying to turn into a slug gun and it's probably a full choke so you may want to open it up. If it were me I would hook it up with a screw in rifled choke to shoot sabots. I've dialed in a lot of slug guns enough to have some strong feelings about it. They are no fun. If it were me I would tap it for a scope or trade it for a rem 870 or a mossberg slug gun . You can pick one up for about $200 used. If you are going to go smooth bore the brenneke slugs are the best ! Long range slug guns can reach out to two hundred yards or so! Good luck with your endeavor.

I am pretty close. I bought a Marlin 512 which is essentially a 555 Marlin bolt action goose gun with a 22" fully rifled barrel and the receiver modified to accept a scope the first year they were available and it literally doubled my effective range VS with smooth bore slug gun from 100-110 to 200-230 yards.
Made my first over 200 yard shot on a deer. LRF confirmed 208 yard one shot and DRT on a very nice 10 point buck using Winchester Partition Golds 3" magnum 385 grain slug. Broad side double lung hit and the slug went all they way through and left a golf ball sized exit hole. Lost count of the over 150 yard kills I've made on deer but its likely over a dozen. All were either one shot and drops or went down in sight.

You might be better off checking GunBroker for a used but in good shape one for sale also check GunsAmerica. Might be a cheaper and easier alternative to trying to modify a smooth bore with a set full choke as slugs work best fired out of an IC choke IIRC and tend to perform poorly shot from a full choke.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts