Anyone Done any LR Slugging w/Marlin 55 Bolt Gun?

Discussion in 'Long Range Shotgun Slug Hunting' started by edward hogan, Jan 1, 2020.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. edward hogan

edward hogan Well-Known Member

The one I have has a 30" barrel, smooth of course, and came with a base for an aperture rear sight. Has a bead up front. The only 30" model 55 I've ever seen. Has the 2rd detachable magazine and sling swivels on the factory walnut stock w/red pad.

Have thought of silver soldering a front ramp and finding an aperture, maybe cut it down for a brush gun for deep woods AK. Very nice old-time bolt shotgun.

2. Ckgworks

Ckgworks Well-Known Member

Never used a Marlin, but I have with a bolt Mossberg. Rifle sights on a smooth bore do wonders! I have soldered on adjustable sights on 3-4 and have been impressed. Never shot them on paper for groups, and I'm not sure what you consider LR, but with the one I still have, I have no problem shooting 120 yards or so. That's as far as I have shot it! It's all relative though, I wouldn't say there as good as a rifled slug gun with sabots, but it definitely extends the range.....Good luck!

3. edward hogan

edward hogan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply, sounds encouraging!

4. Pmacc60

Pmacc60 Well-Known Member

I remember the Marlin , mostly the super goose gun with its 36 inch barrel . I doubt you would hurt anything trying to turn into a slug gun and it’s probably a full choke so you may want to open it up. If it were me I would hook it up with a screw in rifled choke to shoot sabots. I’ve dialed in a lot of slug guns enough to have some strong feelings about it. They are no fun. If it were me I would tap it for a scope or trade it for a rem 870 or a mossberg slug gun . You can pick one up for about $200 used. If you are going to go smooth bore the brenneke slugs are the best ! Long range slug guns can reach out to two hundred yards or so! Good luck with your endeavor.