anyone do any load developement for a #1 300 H&H

lloydsmale

going to pick one up and wondered what shot well in yours. More interested in what bullet weight it seemed to prefer if youve tried more then one. thanks

lloysmale

Don't have have the #1 but we have the Rem 700 Classic.
If I remember correctly we had good luck with IMR 4350 using the 165 gr bullets.
I used the 200 SGK with a maximum charge H4831 W-W brass Fed 215 primers. Never got a chance to chrono this load but its a real hammer on feral hogs. Not a real pleasant load to shoot as recoil is pretty stiff but shot well under moa. Brass is getting harder to find for the .300 HH and pretty expensive to shoot. For my style of hunting and the animals we get to hunt its not really needed but we still enjoy shooting it. Hope this helps and good luck with your #1.

lloyd, my brother has one of the #1's in 300 h@h; I'll ask him to chime in if you want as he isn't here nearly as much as me. He does have a handle here though.

Id appreciate it. I know that no to guns are the same but alot of times the same model gun will prefer the same weight bullet.

Id appreciate it. I know that no to guns are the same but alot of times the same model gun will prefer the same weight bullet.

dropped him a line on facebook and he just messaged this back:

70 rl22 on a 180 and a 215, or 72rl19 on a 160-168 with a 215.... Oal is iffy.... Have to check... 3.6 is max, but most are seated at 3.56 or less

If I remember correct the rifle he has is rather short throated; hence the seating under max. oal.

thanks thats some very useful info. Did he happen to mention if it prefered one weight over the other?

Right now my favorite load in Win. Model 70 26 inch barrel is Case WW ,Primer CCI 250, IMR4350 65.0gr, Nosler 180gr Partition Spitzer, COAL 3.565, I tried 150 gr bullets could not get it to group very well. When I run out of Partitions bullets I'm going to Nosler Accubond 180gr. This load is Max load in Reloading Manual.

Attachments

• 100 yds 300 H&H.jpg
    100 yds 300 H&H.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 100
thanks pal! I appreciate all youve done

Have a good one bud.... the 30 rum we've been talking about on the other thread should be a hoot too.

I like the h@h rounds and would probably have both the 30 and 375 if I hadn't landed on a 300 win I can't bear to trade. I do have a remmy in 375 h@h that is an awesome rifle (only weighs 8# scoped). I'd think about their 7mm( the 275 h@h) but it is really obscure and fires .288" bullets. It's pretty much a no go.

Just logged on here after many moons of being absent.

The #1 in H&H I have is finicky on OAL... it's a VERY short throated beast.
Right now Im running out the remainder of my 168 CT loads ~ 1moa... will eventually goto the 180 Hornady flat base with about 70 grains of RL22 and a 215... The brass type Ive found irrelevant in the accuracy department... short of a dandy rifle, most Rugers are a 1-1.5moa weapon.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.