Anyone custom a Browning A-Bolt?

I have a custom Browning that is still a work in progress. I started with a A-bolt 7MM RM and rebarreled it in 270 WSM. The long action and magazine allows me to load the longer bullets to .02 off the lans. 150 grain nossler ABLR and Berger 170 EOL. The stock is a McMillon A-5 and the barrel is a 26" Benchmark Barrel with a Muscle break. Scope is a Nightforce ATACR 4X16. It shoots bug holes at a hundred yrds and is effective out to 1000 Yards. The buck pictured was shot from 598 yards. I'm still looking for some bottom metal and a replacement magazine.
Midwest Gun Works has that magazine, floor plates and trigger guards in stock.

I just realized that I never posted up pictures of my custom A-Bolt II 7mmRM...

fullsizeoutput_f36.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_f37.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_f38.jpeg

thought about this very subject off n on to many yrs, then I found a great smith by Just reading, made contact with him ,told him what I had and made the deal, my Browning is a pre-A-bolt ,md BBR for browning boltaction rifle, it started life as a 243 win, now its a 708 Remington,Lilja cm 27 inch 1/9 twist #3 conture , shoots great and i'm sorry I didn't re barrel her sooner,kept the wood stock & had it piller beded and free floated the bbl along with rust bluing . nice to see all the Semi-customs pictures ,here ! one last note factory Browning rifles shoot Very well , wanted that said for the Record.

They do not epoxy the barrels on. The one thing that does happen is the front action screw is over tightened and smashes the barrel tenon thread and causes the threads to gall together. There is aftermarket parts you just have to look.

This is my Browning 300 RUM
Mcmillan stock A5
Pacnor ss 28" 1-9 twist
Timney trigger spring
EGW Picatinny 20 moa base
Nightforce 3.5x15 NPR2
Atlas V8 bipod
Brownells bolt knob
Nice rifle

I hate to revive an old thread, but I have been thinking about doing a custom build on my A-Bolt II. I want to buy a new bolt-face for .308 (standard) bolt face, versus the magnum bolt face that's in the bolt currently, and remove the factory browning barrel and have a custom barrel fitted and chambered in .280 AI. The only other issue I am having with this build idea, is finding a stock I like.

Are there any good places to go with a broad selection of aftermarket A-Bolt stocks I can use for a heavy barrel, kinda like the Sendero contour or something similar.

Anyone have a good run-down on smith pricing to true and blueprint the action, fit the barrel, aftermarket stock, etc???

I have already installed the Rifle Basix trigger spring, and that made a world of difference, and I have been debating on just buying a doner 700 and going from there. However, the A-Bolt II custom would be different.

Anyway, some input would be nice. Thanks alot for any help.
Just ordered a McMillan game seeker for my xbolt long range and going to order the mcmillian a5 stock for my abolt. McMillan made the gamewarden stock for the abolt 6 months ago but now they dont offer it i had to settle on
Sorry, I don't understand about not truing the action? I've always known all factory actions to need truing...

So, how much will a McMillan stock run me that will support a heavy barrel, like the one in the picture above my first post in here?
550 to 600 just ordered one

20190114_213449.jpg
AF1QipOqW6ZvwN8DnqqNw0SmsHAWtdK_iHF6TONreJlx

A-bolt Hunter II BOSS system
McMillan A3-5 stock (McMillan camo)
Vortex Razor HD GenII 3-18×50
Vortex Precision Match Rings
MSP Picatinny Rail
Timney Trigger (set at 1.8lbs)
HopticUSA bubble level
Harris Swivel bi-pod
Stock Pack
Consistently shooting 0.50 MOA

Last edited:
PacNor did two for me, they re-barrelled & applied ceracote, then had a gunsmith near them open up the stock. I have a McMillan and B&C, prefer B&C.

Well this thread was an interesting read. It makes me a little worried about finding a smith to true and rebarrel. At least I can find furniture more easily than when this thread started. I own 3 Brownings, an A-bolt II stainless stalker in 22-250, X-bolt 30-06, and a Hells Canyon in 28 Nosler.