Anyone checked out the new Atip from Hornady??

I not that experienced and am somewhat of a newbie here. But I have a degree is physics. And I can tell you that those aluminum tips are not going to melt at high velocities like other popular bullets do when they get down range and start to wobble. I think that a lot of people will be singing a different song about these new bullets. I just shot my first few rounds yesterday after a late night of reloading just a box. I am old school so I shoot a 7mm Rem magnum using a browning bar built before 1993 when the steel barrels were still made stronger. I have never shot through the same holes at 300 yards sighting my rifle in yesterday. I have big expectations when I go out today to shoot at 500 yds. I plan on buying more of these A-tips for my better other rifles this week. I believe they will be sold out very fast after word gets out of their long range accuracy. Just my opinion. I will follow up and let you guys know when I begin trying these at 800 to 1000 yds.

LMAO!!

You too, huh?
I need a 300 RUM or 300 Lapua like I need another hole in my head, but here I sit trying to convince myself it's a miracle I've lived without one this long!
Buy a 300rum
I have a few. Fun gun.

I not that experienced and am somewhat of a newbie here. But I have a degree is physics. And I can tell you that those aluminum tips are not going to melt at high velocities like other popular bullets do when they get down range and start to wobble. I think that a lot of people will be singing a different song about these new bullets. I just shot my first few rounds yesterday after a late night of reloading just a box. I am old school so I shoot a 7mm Rem magnum using a browning bar built before 1993 when the steel barrels were still made stronger. I have never shot through the same holes at 300 yards sighting my rifle in yesterday. I have big expectations when I go out today to shoot at 500 yds. I plan on buying more of these A-tips for my better other rifles this week. I believe they will be sold out very fast after word gets out of their long range accuracy. Just my opinion. I will follow up and let you guys know when I begin trying these at 800 to 1000 yds.
Lance: Let us know how they go. I'm focused on precision more than anything. Tight groups at distances are great. Also, have you done any solid copper bullets? Thanks.

I have a factory original Rem Sendero SF II chambered in 300 Win Mag.
Can anyone familiar, tell me if the 230gr A-tip is a candidate for my gun? So far the 200gr Accubond @ 2700fps is the most accurate bullet I have found.

I have a factory original Rem Sendero SF II chambered in 300 Win Mag.
Can anyone familiar, tell me if the 230gr A-tip is a candidate for my gun? So far the 200gr Accubond @ 2700fps is the most accurate bullet I have found.

My experience with 300 Win Mag leads me to just about ideal at 212-215. (Call it horsepower to weight ratio...LOL!!)

I won't discourage you from trying, but I will say I have no plans to try it in any of my 300 Win Mags.

Sir, not sure what you were shooting for bullets but they weren't Hornady A-TIP if you were shooting a 7 Mag.
Hornady didn't release those yet.

LMAO!!

You too, huh?
I need a 300 RUM or 300 Lapua like I need another hole in my head, but here I sit trying to convince myself it's a miracle I've lived without one this long!
You only live once. Think of the smile on your face when the RUM kicks the snot out of you. every time I pull the trigger on the 300 Weatherby. I smile I am 72 and the goal posts are in sight. Let the powder burn.

Say it with me gents 300 Cheytac

Love the sound of that. Wonder though if it'd just blow apart. Jackets can't be that thick, super long, lots of bearing surface, will need to be twisted very aggressively. Only so many rpms thin jacketed cup and cores can take.

That being said the idea of .300 ct crossed my mind in another thread in which the idea of triple base powders containing nitroguanidine in significant quantity came up. They use the stuff in artillery munitions but not small arms except in small quantity as it has flash suppressant qualities. Burn rate is to slow to be useful in CURRENT small arms chamberings.

Someone will have to push the envelope on everything and make up a .300 cheytac shooting 250 atips out of a 34 + inch tube with a gain twist to possibly avoid mangling the thing as much on entry into the lands, hbn treated, with some top secret triple base ball powder (temperature insensitive, copper fouling eraser, should probably glow in the dark for good measure)

I can tell you that as of yesterday I was shooting the tightest groups that I have ever shot at 500 yards using the New A1 tips. This was using a pre 1992 Browning Bar type model made from 68 to 92. I think everyone should try these bullets and see for yourself. And you are correct they have ran a limited production before of the same type. Guys I'm not kidding these babies shot great precision. Actually it was the best precision that I have shot with this rifle. I'm going to try 800 yards just for the heck of it due to what they did at 500 yards. Then I think I am going to try them in my other rifles. Or at least purchase a good quantity of them for each caliber before they are sold out.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts