Anyone change a bolt handle on the new savage 10’s

nathank

Wanting to change the bolt handle on my savage lwh. It has the cocking indicator in the 1/4 Allen head bolt? Anyone know how to remove it? Thanks

Edit: figured it out just had to un cock it lol what a fool

Last edited:
You'll have to de-cock the bolt so that the cocking indicator will drop out of the way. You can do this by removing the bolt and rotating the cocking piece out of the way into the fired position. From there you just have to remove the bolt assembly screw, replace the handle, and then screw the bolt assembly screw back in. The screw should be pretty tight, I don't remember the actual torque though. Once it's reassembled you can cock the bolt again by using the edge of a work bench to push the cocking piece back and rotate it back into the cocked position.

The easiest way to decock the firing pin is to put the round piece in a vise and rotate the bolt to decock and do the same after you are finished to recock. If the rear bolt nut has not been taken off you will need quite a bit of force to break it loose. In retightening it it will not need to be that tight. Just make it good and snug and call it good. Sometimes I have to put the allen wrench in the vise and hit the bolt handle with a soft blow hammer of some type to break it free.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.