anyone build a 338 LM on a Number 1??

bc338mtb

I'm buying a number 1, chambered in 338 Win Mag. The price is really good.
So I got thinking about rechambering it to a 338 LM. Is it do-able?

Very easily doable. I have 338-378's, a lapua and 416 off the #1. Makes a nice light and short rifle. Search the internet for fixes on trigger, bedding and accuracy. They like to vertical string but that can be fixed with bedding and torque on the forend bolt. You will need the 416 ejector from Ruger and take a few thousanths off where the case ejects.

I had a #1 in 300 Ultra that I liked a lot, but was told by my gunsmith that with the ring size on the Ruger receiver, going beyond the Jeffrey size case was risky in that you could swell the chamber. He said he had seen it happen. In other words, the .550 size head was ok but the .580 size was marginal. I'm sure you can swell anything with enough overload and it sounds like it works for some people, so whatever its worth....Rich

Elkaholic, your gunsmith is misinformed, the #1 performs very well with the big cases and is preferred by many for the big cases. It comes standard in 416 Rigby. I have two of those. It is very strong and solid and for many years was the preffered action for many guys building wildcats like the 338-378 wby and 338-416 Rigby.

I have a Ruger #1 in 338 Lapua and have had no issues with it.
Ruger only has a 1" tenon and the 416 Rigby that it is factory chambered in is a low pressure round so I wouldn't totally dismiss that there couldn't be any issue with chambering it in a large diameter high pressure round like the 338 lapua. But as I said I sure haven't had any issues with mine.

James

Elkaholic, your gunsmith is misinformed, the #1 performs very well with the big cases and is preferred by many for the big cases. It comes standard in 416 Rigby. I have two of those. It is very strong and solid and for many years was the preffered action for many guys building wildcats like the 338-378 wby and 338-416 Rigby.

That could well be! He isn't my gunsmith anymore for some other reasons:D That's why I qualified my comment by saying that you can swell most anything with an excessive enough load. Thanks for info!......Rich

I agree with hot enough loads you could probably ruin about anything. The beauty of the #1 is it balances out so well with a 30" barrel and is still fairly light weight. With the 30" barrel it is still about the same length as a standard action with a 26" tube on it. Several years back I built several big 338's on the #1 and was able to work out the trigger and accuracy issues with them. They are still handy little rifles with the long barrels.

I agree with hot enough loads you could probably ruin about anything. The beauty of the #1 is it balances out so well with a 30" barrel and is still fairly light weight. With the 30" barrel it is still about the same length as a standard action with a 26" tube on it. Several years back I built several big 338's on the #1 and was able to work out the trigger and accuracy issues with them. They are still handy little rifles with the long barrels.

Agree 100%. I had a 30" Lilja on my Ultra and it was 1/2" shorter overall than my 700 Rem. with a 26" tube. I am currently building a 300 Sherman on a B-78 for the same reason.....Rich

Thanks to all, I appreciate the responses.

I'll ship up to some very competant gun wizards.

Surfing through Brownells, they have some triggers, faster hammers and barrel tensioners.

The shop has effective muzzle breaks and a good assortment of barrels.

Thanks again!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.