Anybody using Vihtavouri N165?

Ckleeves

Curious if anybody is using it in any 30 cal magnums (300 win,300 prc, 30 nos etc) and what kinda velocity you're getting. Also curious if anybody has done any temp stability testing on it. The Vihtavouri load data with it is anemic but all their data is so just curious about real world results.

It's intrigued me since it's available and at this point cheaper then H-1000 and I don't have to fist fight anybody to get it!

Been a long time since I used it. Couldn't find any notes on it. I will say it's probably one of the coolest burning powders. It' is pretty temp sensitive. Burn rate is about like RL23, slower than H4831 and faster than RL26. It's very easy on the rifle bores I will say. And the velocity nodes are very wide with it. You want to be at the higher side of the velocity node. Accuracy will be in that area instead of at the bottom.

Try it out, if you are not a speed demon it might work for you. Found it to pressure out before good speed. In the 300Wm, you may get a different result.

Ya I have loaded lots of N565. I just don't love how hard it is on throats. It's not N570 bad but it still seems pretty high temp.

What are you shooting it in? What cartridge? There is only a 220 degree difference between H-1000 and N 565 570. N-160 is only 130 degrees cooler than H-1000. In a large magnum I doubt it will be a barrel saver. I suspect you would do more damage to the barrel doing load workups for a new powder than if you just stayed with H-1000

I have a 7 rem mag that was very stubborn during load development. It would've made a 1.2 moa group shooting rocks out of the bore with black powder, refused to make small groups with anything. Finally got it to shoot with N165 .5 moa average with 160 grain bullet at 2900 fps. 26" barrel. Near max load. Same rifle shoots 175 eldx-x at nearly 3000, but not nearly as accurate as the N165.

Was thinking about trying it in 30 Nos. It's a new barrel so I would be starting fresh. I know N565-570 don't show a crazy amount higher temp on the charts but from looking at throats that have seen nothing but H1k vs nothing but N565 there sure is a difference at the same rounds count.

Was thinking about trying it in 30 Nos. It's a new barrel so I would be starting fresh. I know N565-570 don't show a crazy amount higher temp on the charts but from looking at throats that have seen nothing but H1k vs nothing but N565 there sure is a difference at the same rounds count.
Comparing single base powder to double base

Exactly. That's what interested me with single base N165 is H1000 (or better) barrel life. I need to find a pound locally just to try before I order big quantities.

Recent Posts