Anybody using ATVs for hunting?

I also started out with a motorcycle then an atv and have since moved on to the utv. Suppose old age makes the utv more attractive. Warmer, drier, more comfortable, easier to haul things. Use it to check areas out, haul tree stands etc around, wife just enjoys getting in it and going for a site seeing ride. In all reality don't take it any place that you couldn't take a 4-wheel drive pickup. But I do take it lots of places that I wouldn't want to take my pickup. Plus in lots of cases it is much faster getting around. All in all we really enjoy the utv, could we get along without it? Sure we could but would miss it.

One of our Rangers (has full soft cab if wanted & heater), shown working at home.

JGcYbBCl.jpg

Our other Ranger at hunting camp! Has full metal cab, heater, XM/Sirius radio, and tracks available if needed! memtb
AZkNJ3sl.jpg

Last edited:
I used to solo backpack hunt, but the first 5 miles was on a horse/ATV trail and it got difficult as I got older humping out a bunch of meat. So my ATV is used to get down the trail and backpack hunt from the disembarking spot. I've never used the ATV for actual scouting or hunting, but have used it to see where most guys/gals are going and have gone in another direction. Be aware that some states have ATV trails that do not allow anything over 52" in width on the trails so UTVs will be out of the question. I saw two out of state guys get arrested for chain sawing a post down in Colorado to get their UTVs on the trail, Game Wardens where waiting on them when they returned.
I've seen state guys write out tickets on using an ATV in the wrong places in Colo a long time back. The Game wardens are using ATV and UTV's in Montana now. Don't want to be in the wrong place.

Four years ago bought an 08 RZR, 800. That was the first year they came out. Quieted down the exhaust, made rifle holders in the cab and did plenty of other mods. Now I have 2 identical except I built a heater for one and it also has doors. These are a beast and get my hunting partner and I back in the hills for calling coyotes. Park behind a hill, walk around it and start calling. It hasn't seemed to hurt our success rate at all and we can get to many more sets in a day. Much faster in rough terrain than a pickup and doesn't beat you up as much.

In the off season (like now) riding trails in the Black Hills and out in WY is a blast! Licensed them to be street legal in the states that allow it.

I used to solo backpack hunt, but the first 5 miles was on a horse/ATV trail and it got difficult as I got older humping out a bunch of meat. So my ATV is used to get down the trail and backpack hunt from the disembarking spot. I've never used the ATV for actual scouting or hunting, but have used it to see where most guys/gals are going and have gone in another direction. Be aware that some states have ATV trails that do not allow anything over 52" in width on the trails so UTVs will be out of the question. I saw two out of state guys get arrested for chain sawing a post down in Colorado to get their UTVs on the trail, Game Wardens where waiting on them when they returned.
I get tired of guys using ATVs on roads that are clearly marked "No motorized vehicles." I had some neighbors over the day and they commented that hunters ignore the law and often tear down those signs.

Have had nothing but Healers ( Australian cattle dogs) last 25 yrs. So loyal its freaky, and smarter than most people.
That loyal part and freaky is incredibly true. And FREAKY! As I said I adopted this dog when it showed up out of bush miles from nowhere.When it was time to leave...I just scooped him up and put him in the truck. He could of bitten the hell out of me, but didn't. He hasn't left my side since....I move he moves at times it's almost too much! Or FREAKY! LOL ...and smart...he pretty much knew is New name in 48 hours....and he never once said he didn't like it!

That loyal part and freaky is incredibly true. And FREAKY! As I said I adopted this dog when it showed up out of bush miles from nowhere.When it was time to leave...I just scooped him up and put him in the truck. He could of bitten the hell out of me, but didn't. He hasn't left my side since....I move he moves at times it's almost too much! Or FREAKY! LOL
I had one rip part of my face off near Gympie; first thing the ER doctor said was "Your modeling days are over." I had to have plastic surgery in Brisbane. Was visiting a friend's cattle ranch when it happened; had a buffalo hunt in NT the next week and that sure put a damper on it.

Recent Posts