Anybody useing IMR 4451

Wild Bill G

Is anybody using IMR 4451 or have they tried it. Picked up a pound ad wanted to try it in my 6.5x55. None of the loading manuals mention it. It is supposed to be one of the very stable powders that reduce copper fouling. If you have or are using it what are you using it in?

Wild, it's after IMR 4350 and before H4350 on the burn rate. It's also about $3 more per lb here, but i am using it in place of H4350 and it performs as well. It is temp insensitive and supposed to cut copper fouling which I. Haven't noticed. If H4350 begins to be available again, I may go back depending on the price. They are that close.

What are you using it in.
I got it to use in my 6.5x55 but the data I found made Hybrid 100 V look more appealing.

Wild, using it in my friend's .243 using same charge I used with H4350. He says the groups average within + or - 2% of the H4350 loads, I did start lower and work up. I have a couple lbs of 7977 in case H1000 becomes scarce. Tried the 7977 for some break in loads in my .270 WBY.

My coach has started playing with the new Enduron powder in his 6.5x55. Pretty sure it would have been the 4451 (we bought both to tinker with). The loads we've tested so far gave really amazing low SD's and really good velocity. First load we tried ran 2fps SD's for 5 rounds. Second was 4fps. No trouble getting good groups either. I don't have load data handy but this is all done from a custom rifle with a custom chamber so it probably wouldn't be too good as sample data.

BallisticsGuy, what bullets are you testing that load in? I just picked up a Pac-nor barreled 6.5 Swede and am looking for some loads. If you don't wish to publish them, shoot me a PM.

Sierra 107, 123 and 140 MK's. They're used in a custom Remington model 70 so we're not stuck at low pressures but that also puts the load data pretty far off book loads that are safe in small ring mausers.

I just picked up the new Nosler manual as I thought it might have loads using this powder. No such luck but it does have loads for modern 6.5x55 however they are not much faster than old load data.
I only loaded a few shell with thhis powder to foul the barrel on my 6.5. Seeing as it may be close to H4350 I have to give it a closer look.

Will Bill G, The Hodgdon 2016 Annual Manual, has complete data for the new IMR Enduron powders. Also you can find this information on the Hodgdon web site. I have tried a number of the Edduron powders with mixed success. For example I loaded IMR-4451 in my Weatherby Vanguard in 270 Winchester. This gun shot 140 grain Nosler BTs very well with IMR-4831, so I tried them with IMR-4451. The Hodgdon data gave 49.9 grains as a starting load so I started at 51.0 grains. MY first three shots produced a three shot group under .33 inches. As I moved up to 52.0 grains and then to 53.0 my groups opened up, so I stopped. I did not chronograph this load but a guess would 2800-2850 ft/sec..

This Manual also includes data for the 6.5x55 and IMR-4451.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.