anybody use these?

wc870

So one of my local gun shops is getting out of stocking some of his reloading stuff, bullets, dies, presses, all going for 50% off.
they have 28 boxes of speer 30cal 180gr grand slams #2063 for 16.50 a box of 50, regular price 33.00!
I have used the older hot core version of these, but not these, I know its not really a long range bullet but shots will most likely be under 400. Primarily will be used for elk, I would use them on whitetail for the price but seems to be a bit of overkill, (if there rely is such a thing!)
I don't mind buying them all, I"d just like to hear some real experiences with them, its a pretty good chunk of change to drop and find out they suck, even at 50%

thanks in advance
almost forgot, their taking another 10% off this weekend for inauguration sale:)

So one of my local gun shops is getting out of stocking some of his reloading stuff, bullets, dies, presses, all going for 50% off.
they have 28 boxes of speer 30cal 180gr grand slams #2063 for 16.50 a box of 50, regular price 33.00!
I have used the older hot core version of these, but not these, I know its not really a long range bullet but shots will most likely be under 400. Primarily will be used for elk, I would use them on whitetail for the price but seems to be a bit of overkill, (if there rely is such a thing!)
I don't mind buying them all, I"d just like to hear some real experiences with them, its a pretty good chunk of change to drop and find out they suck, even at 50%

thanks in advance
almost forgot, their taking another 10% off this weekend for inauguration sale:)

I shot some on hogs years ago with them and they worked well enough but they are not a particularly accurate bullet with low BC's.

There are better made bullets that fly a lot better and I'm at a point in my life where I have realized that saving money on cheap bullets doesn't pay off well in the end.

Yea the b.c. Sure isn't great. I switched to accubond's which I really like. I was definetly getting lured in by the price

Yea the b.c. Sure isn't great. I switched to accubond's which I really like. I was definetly getting lured in by the price
There's nothing at all wrong with the Accubond for hogs, particularly in slower calibers.

I run them in my Ruger Ranch Rifle Min 14 SPC. Nosler developed two specific weights for the rifle and they get the job done quite well with thought, patience and good shot placement.

A couple of years back I killed one just shy of 400lbs hanging weight (gutted) but hanging on the rail that was running dead away from me. I put one shot right at the base of his tail which took out his lower spine and left his back legs totally useless and another to the brain when he spun around to voice his displeasure.

I'd have let him run completely off the road before firing the first shot if I'd been thinking clearly because it was a chore getting him loaded on my own in the middle of the night trying to do it all shuffling around on a freshly iced road.

Killed another pretty big one with it right after I got back from Africa with one shot just below and behind the ear.

Nosler did a really good job matching just the right bullet to the round. SSA was marketing them for Nosler at that time or they had Nosler making them under contract at the time, can't remember which. Since that time they've merged.

I think they make a light 6.5 that would rock in the 6.5L as well.

What you don't want is a bullet that punches through failing to hit the head and/or spine especially on a big hog because things can get real tricky up close with a wound large boar or sow.

I have not used that particular Grand Slam bullet but have used the 120 gr .257 in a 25-06. In my rifle they were very accurate and I used some on deer and only recovered one. It was shot into a buck that was only about 30 yards away facing me. I put the bullet in his chest and he fell back on his butt and died. I found the bullet in his left ham where it smashed his ball socket. Weight was 87 grs with a picture perfect mushroom. Muzzle velocity of the round was 3000 fps so impact was over 2900 fps at that close range. I shot a half dozen or so deer with this bullet and all others were exits even through both shoulders. If anything they were too tough a bullet for the 90 to 170 lb deer of east NC. I still have some and if I was ever to go after some BIG HUGE deer 300+ lbs or went to shoot an elk with my 25-06 I will be shooting this bullet. My hunting buddy was given a hunt at one of the big managed trophy places and was told to being something like a 7 mag because the deer were HUGE. He took his 25-06 loaded with the 120 grand slams and killed two HUGE deer with one shot each. BANG FLOP. You will never know how these bullets will work for you until you shoot some. But for less money you can Sierra or Hornady bullets. They may not be the newest sexiest kid on the block but if you put one where it is supposed to go they still kill just as dead. :D

rt2506, thanks, glad they worked out for you. i figure ill grab some of them and give them a try (not all of them like I was thinking). like you said at the end of your post there are a LOT of bullets out there that work good! I have shot a pile of whitetail and have tried lots of bullets, the best I've found, core-lokt. Nuthin fancy, just works perfect every time. like you said not the newest or sexiest but get it done.

when i ran a 338WM in alaska, I used a few of the grand slams. for me they were plenty accurate and accounted for 1 very large caribou at about 350yds. in and out, no bullet recovery. If you're looking for a good bonded bullet for medium range, they'll work great. I also like that they are basically a protected point, I've had too many polymer tips deform in the mag from my 338, so that copper to the tip soft nose was all i shot to the end.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.