Anybody Tried .270 STW ?

Jason Price

I'm considering building a new medium range deer hunting rifle in .270 caliber on the STW class case - I have noticed reamers available lately - Would like 26" to 28" #5 contour Lilja barrel and am thinking about using Barnes XLC 130 gr. - I've noticed the success of the .257 STW,(@ 4300 FPS) but I want a slightly heavier bullet than the 100 or 115 gr. offered in that caliber.

I know most of you here yield to larger calibers and heavier bullets for long range hunting, but please understand that long range where I live is more like 500 or 600 yds - The terrain just doesn't allow any more in a hunting situation - What I want is a hyper-velocity rifle with laser-like trajectory to take advantage of long "bean field" shots that may not particuarly allow time to range and dial up shots.

Any info or advice from some of you knowledgeable "longrangers" would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, JP
smile.gif

I'd be curious to know if a 270STW would be any flatter at 500-600yds than a 7STW with any of the readily available high BC .284" bullets.
I'd guess that the 7STW would retain more energy at that range but maybe I'm biased.
I love my 7STW
grin.gif

VH

rather to use a 270 cal I prefer stay in 284 cal or go in 264 cal both 264 and 284 have hight BC and heavy bullet in 264 are 140 ( not far from 150 gr in 270 cal ) and in 284 you can use 160 gr bullet

to go in 270 cal , 270 WSM is very impressive and you stay in commercial chambering

good shooting

DAN TEC

Thanks for the input guys! - I have several 7 STW rifles that I have built and consequently I love that chambering too - I also have a 7 WSM that is a really accurate rifle - I'm just looking for a slightly flatter trajectory than the 7 STW creates - Something I can practically hold "on fur" at 500 yds and still maintain impressive energy - Yes, I'm just tinkering again!

Dantec -
If I understand your post, Are you suggesting that the .264 caliber would be a wiser choice for the STW case?

Thanks again - JP
smile.gif

I know a "smith" that has a reamer for a 7 STW improved. It has a longer neck and blown out shoulders. It is 150-200 FPS faster than the standard STW. Add some legth to the barrel and it would scream.

The only real way to get the 270 bullet any faster than the 7mm fired of the same case is to lengthen the barrel. It would take a 27" barrel in the 270 to equal the 7mm at 26". Also have you looked into the 7mm RUM?
a 28.5" barrel will afford you about 3700 with an 140 BT.

W/a 400 yard zero you will be 5.8" high at its highest point and 8.9" low at 500 yards.

It doesent get much better than that.

I also have a couple of 7 RUM's, but can't seem to pass the 3700 fps mark very much with a 140 gr NBT even in one that has a 30" barrel

What I would really like to do is put a 120 to 130 gr bullet out in the 4000 fps neighborhood - I have a .257 STW that does 4300 fps with a 100 gr NBT in a 28" barrel - Why would it not be possible to split the speeds and bullet weights of these two to an average of 120 gr @ 4000 fps?

I know internal ballistics aren't quite that simple, but to this simple country boy it seems practical.

A couple of questions:

Has anybody got or tried the "Load From A Disc Program"

Can somebody explain this item in the Barnes Reloading Manual Number 3?
Page 280
Standard 7mm Remington Magnum
140 gr XLC BT
Max load of Norma 204 at 67 gr
VELOCITY OF 3773 FPS ???

JP
smile.gif

Swift Strike,
I have the Load From A Disk program. I feel it is very conservative in it's data most of the time. Also, at times the powder selection is limited, sometimes only a few a given to choose from, especially with the big magnums. Other than those few gripes I think for the money it's a nice program to use to start load development, I like to look thru as many books and resources available.
It also has a pretty good exterior ballistics program, not as good as the free JBM but better than nothing. JMHO
Wayne

if u have the 7rum. just sight it in at 400yds.u will only be around 6 in. aqbove line of sight out to 400 and -15.5 in. low at 550yds,just a suggestion,its workable or do u just feel like building a new rifle?-my-2-dave

Hunting season is over and I just want to do something new - A "to the max" deer rifle project - I've got like 50 rifles already, from .17 HMR to .50 BMG, and I'm just itching to do something different.
grin.gif

Most of you know how it is, never being satisfied with what you have although what you have is actually far more than you really need.

If anybody knows of some other crazy nut's project similar to this, I would appreciate any info.

JP
smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.