Anybody Skelotonized a wood Stock?

I would buy a cheap stock from Boyd's it is a decent stock for the price. I have had a couple in AK for several years. Save the original for better resale, if you ever sell it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230117-063926_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230117-063926_Chrome.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 48
  • Screenshot_20230117-063739_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230117-063739_Chrome.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 48
My grandfather, in about 1946, bought my father's first rifle and skeletonized the stock. He also cut the barrel down to less than 16". Both done in the name of weight savings and handling for my dad who was young boy at the time. The rifle is still in the family.
But of course the barrel has been pin and welded for legal reasonings 😜

Built this in 2014, Wester Red Cedar (very soft) Kimber Montana 223 action, 1-8 223 Tikka barrel that didn't want to be fluted so was turned down, Leupold ultra light 3-9 with CDS & caps, 22-204 70 GMX at 3150

Definitely can't be too rough with it but it only weighs 4.25 lbs without bipod

Have a Kimber 450BM, Mod7 6.5CM & Rem Ti 6.5-375R with similar stocks

Buy a lighter stock. I'd suggest made of carbon fiber. Thinning wood out of you current stock you'll get flex and make it very likely you will break the stock down the road as the modifications will make it weak. JMO
+1 !!! I prefer shooting over whittling.

If you want to do it then do. I would bed the whole action and maybe use fiberglass?? Doing it to a laminate would be the ticket, like others had mentioned. If your bored, want something to play with, go for it. 👍👍👏

We probably need to know budget--- op could pick up a used or overstock wood or laminate stock for $50-100 and tinker with it
But a new cf stock is gonna be $500-750 ish.

I think we've begun to miss the OP question. On if anybody's ever whittled one down.
I replied with pics 😉

I'm not sure if op specified what he's trying to accomplish--- lightest weight? Cheapest build? Just wanted to know about structural integrity? A fun winter time low buck project? A certain look?

I'm not sure many people have done this before-- I have seen a few guys bore double 3/4" holes lengthwise into the buttstock before and it seemed to be fine.

I wanted something stiffer than the plastic stock- but didn't want to be any heavier and be on a small budget. I have lighter stocks, but not anything cheaper -- and it's unique and was a fun project done in spare time.

I replied with pics 😉

I'm not sure if op specified what he's trying to accomplish--- lightest weight? Cheapest build? Just wanted to know about structural integrity? A fun winter time low buck project? A certain look?

I'm not sure many people have done this before-- I have seen a few guys bore double 3/4" holes lengthwise into the buttstock before and it seemed to be fine.

I wanted something stiffer than the plastic stock- but didn't want to be any heavier and be on a small budget. I have lighter stocks, but not anything cheaper -- and it's unique and was a fun project done in spare time.
That was just a general comment. Seems like the OP asked about whittling one down and everybody's pushing to go carbon fiber or synthetic. Which doesn't address the question. Even though they are great suggestions it's just not answering their question. And I think the laminate stock would be the way to go If wanting to keep the wood

Just curious if I am being ridiculous or not. Thinking about whittling away on my Remington 700 factory stock to make it lighter.

Lots of ways to lighten up, I'd start with the stock and find yourself a Ti take off in the classifieds, they'll normally go around 26-27 ouces. That would help a lot, your factory probably is in the 34-36 ounce range.

You could go with a McMillan compact with Edge fill, that'll be about 24 ounces with paint, pad and studs.

Or you could call D'Arcy and see if he has any of his Shrike stocks with Edge fill.

Go blind box if you're changing things. Rings it's easy to drop weight, the Talley lightweights will go about 2.5-3 ounces.

Sling is another place to drop weight. Not tough to find one that goes 3 ounce or so with swivels...

Best of luck to ya

Here's what I would do. Budget for yourself a lightweight stock. When that is covered, before buying anything, start your project. At that point you have nothing to lose. I'd plan out a couple changes for areas and then do one and check, continue until you reach your goal through success or you've placed your order for that new stock.

Recent Posts