Anybody shooting the Barnes .30 212 LRX?

Lobber

Hi everyone, I'm currently waiting on some components for a new .30 cal build and will either camber in 300 WSM or 300 PRC. The 212 LRX has me very intrigued, but am not sure if I want to have the barrel throated for them or not since I haven't heard much real world experience with them. I would love to hear from anyone with some experience shooting them from a WSM, PRC, or similar cartridge... Thanks in advance!

Monolithic bullets are longer than normal cup and core bullets and as they are harder they need speed to expand. Given these facts it is a balancing act to get enough BC together with speed for long distance shots. Penetration is hardly ever a problem so you can have lighter projectiles that still ensure a good terminal wound. I would look at using a 180gr and compare the ballistics over the distance you normally hunt.

Monolithic bullets are longer than normal cup and core bullets and as they are harder they need speed to expand. Given these facts it is a balancing act to get enough BC together with speed for long distance shots. Penetration is hardly ever a problem so you can have lighter projectiles that still ensure a good terminal wound. I would look at using a 180gr and compare the ballistics over the distance you normally hunt.

I understand where you're coming from here, and appreciate the response. However, with Barnes testing the minimum impact velocity for expansion to1600 fps w/ 1.8x expansion, that would provide reliable performance on game out around 1200-1300 yds with this genre of .30 cartridges. While I would like to ring steel that far and beyond, I personally do not plan to shoot game beyond that with any bullet for ethical reasons. Hoping someone has some actual experience with these to share though. Cheers

In South Africa Barnes is a premium bullet and prices are in that league. I therefore only use them for hunting. The lead/copper bullets are then used for target and vermin shooting. I would set up the rig for heavier cup and core bullets and use monos for hunting.

Any other insight?
I shot my buck a few weeks ago at 560 yards with a 212 LRX from my 30 Sherman mag .
I was really impressed, he didn't take a step just dropped on the spot.
The exit hole was the size of a tennis ball.
I've recovered a few bullets from wet clay at 700 yards and the expansion was beautiful.

The bullet design is a bore rider so only the bottom portion of the bullet is actually. 308, the bearing surface will be a ways off the lands even in a 300 wsm saami chamber.
So no need to throat it out.
I can post a picture of a recovered bullet if you want

I shot my buck a few weeks ago at 560 yards with a 212 LRX from my 30 Sherman mag .
I was really impressed, he didn't take a step just dropped on the spot.
The exit hole was the size of a tennis ball.
I've recovered a few bullets from wet clay at 700 yards and the expansion was beautiful.

The bullet design is a bore rider so only the bottom portion of the bullet is actually. 308, the bearing surface will be a ways off the lands even in a 300 wsm saami chamber.
So no need to throat it out.
I can post a picture of a recovered bullet if you want

That is exactly what I needed to know! Thank you very much for posting this. Now that you mention the bore rider design, it is obvious, and I should have made that connection before... That's great to know I can just load these to mag length in a LA for either 300wsm or 300PRC (Wyatt's box) and be good to go, in theory.

You will need a faster than normal 10 twist barrel for the 200 grain class monos. I have shot Barnes and various non leads for many years and have gone to a softer alloy copper like Hammer and Cutting Edge as they have the best of both lead and copper properties for expansion, and don't hit pressure as fast. Check out this thread of what happened with the very hard copper Badlands 275 grain .338 bullet, I feel it is too hard of copper and needs a faster than 9 twist to keep from tumbling when it hit;
https://www.longrangehunting.com/th...-from-bc-to-terminal-ballistics.245696/page-6
My 300 RUM with a 7 twist with a 227 Hammer left a nice exit on a 986 yard shot, cow was quartered towards me so the entrance was about 6" forwards on the opposite side.
cow1.jpg

You will need a faster than normal 10 twist barrel for the 200 grain class monos. I have shot Barnes and various non leads for many years and have gone to a softer alloy copper like Hammer and Cutting Edge as they have the best of both lead and copper properties for expansion, and don't hit pressure as fast. Check out this thread of what happened with the very hard copper Badlands 275 grain .338 bullet, I feel it is too hard of copper and needs a faster than 9 twist to keep from tumbling when it hit;
https://www.longrangehunting.com/th...-from-bc-to-terminal-ballistics.245696/page-6
My 300 RUM with a 7 twist with a 227 Hammer left a nice exit on a 986 yard shot, cow was quartered towards me so the entrance was about 6" forwards on the opposite side.

Some very good insight here. Thank you! My barrel will be a 1:8 twist, so I think it will be sufficient for stabilizing these bullets down range. I don't have any personal experience with hammer or cutting edge bullets, but I'm not too keen on bullet designs that result in shedding the peddles.... but like I said I've never used them. Honestly, the cost becomes relatively prohibitive with the hammers or cutting edge as well.. I've never had trouble with other Barnes LRX in the past, but do understand the need to be aware of potential short-comings of harder alloy monos. Thanks again

Some very good insight here. Thank you! My barrel will be a 1:8 twist, so I think it will be sufficient for stabilizing these bullets down range. I don't have any personal experience with hammer or cutting edge bullets, but I'm not too keen on bullet designs that result in shedding the peddles.... but like I said I've never used them. Honestly, the cost becomes relatively prohibitive with the hammers or cutting edge as well.. I've never had trouble with other Barnes LRX in the past, but do understand the need to be aware of potential short-comings of harder alloy monos. Thanks again
Yes, good choice on the 8 twist. Barnes are sensitive to seating depth and can hit pressure early and Hammers are a hybrid type and almost immune to seating depth and generally give a higher velocity for comparable bullet weight. If you haven't seen the new Absolute Hammer it is a new design with minimal bearing surface that is giving ~300-400 fps increase over standard bullets in the same cartridge. This is for experienced reloaders only as "normal" data does not apply and loads are way over established limits but only for use with this bullet.

Yes, good choice on the 8 twist. Barnes are sensitive to seating depth and can hit pressure early and Hammers are a hybrid type and almost immune to seating depth and generally give a higher velocity for comparable bullet weight. If you haven't seen the new Absolute Hammer it is a new design with minimal bearing surface that is giving ~300-400 fps increase over standard bullets in the same cartridge. This is for experienced reloaders only as "normal" data does not apply and loads are way over established limits but only for use with this bullet.
Hello!

I'm new to reloading. Do you mind explaining how and why hybrids are immune to seating depth? I think I may be wasting my time and powder. Thanks!