Anybody Know about scents and scent killer's???

NorthernSniper

Anybody Know about scents and scent killer\'s???

Anybody tried scent killer or estrus scent and that type of thing? I'm going Elk hunting up towards Alaska, Ive never hunted Elk and I'm going to try Elk estrus scent and scent killer to hopefuly increase my luck. I got a video from Wildlife Research Center products which explains some what how to use scents and scent killer, I am kind of curious to hear how this stuff works? Anybody heard which brand is best or have any experience using the stuff? Thanks all! any comments welcome.
smile.gif

Re: Anybody Know about scents and scent killer\'s???

I prefer the scent blocker hunters bodygaurd. I have tried two other brands but they did not work as well. And I have never had luck with any elk estrus scents If someone has then I would like to know what brand it is.

unless you are bow hunting leave the scents stuff for elk alone.. you asking for trouble...
I would get scentlok clothing or somthing of the like.. but the estrus stuff... not neccesary unless you are bow hunting... just products that catch elk hunters not elk..

whitetail hunting now that is different.. I use it for whitetail.. but never had the need for elk hunting...

NorthernSniper, I use Scent killer when I hunt. Always worked fine for me, but then agian I don't know if it was the scent killer, the scen-lok clothing or just being right with the wind.

No matter what it is I tend to think that hunting with the wind in your favor is the most important factor. The rest may just be in our heads!

During the whitetail rut in NY, I've had deer come up behind me responding to a call.
Right into my stink! They're horny and they get stupid. I don't know how stupid elk get...never hunted them.

That slogan "forget the wind, just hunt!" is way overstated. You do get the stupid critters, but you can't count on it.

Now for attracting scents.....

Based on my experience, don't use them without experience! Sometimes they have the opposite effect of what you want.

I use only a little Doe in heat urine when I KNOW the deer are in full rut. I'll use Buck urine carefully only after hunting for a while with no success. Sometimes the bucks are already on does (we have way more does than bucks here) and the buck urine may bring them in. The buck urine I get is from is taken from a younger buck. I NEVER use Domininant buck urine because it will frighten the younger bucks and I'm not Jim Shockey where I only want the biggest baddest deer in the woods. Also: less is more!

Calls: Don't use them unless you know exactly what you are doing. It's not just sounding correctly, but is the time right?

I know your going for elk and I'm speaking about deer, but I'm sure the results of misuse will be similar.

Good Luck!

[ 04-19-2004: Message edited by: John M. ]

Work the wind. I find they will smell you no matter what. You can minimize odor, but cannot make it go away. Only way to really keep them from smelling you is work the wind right.

I carry a little bottle of baby powder. Occaisionally when walking and often when stalking I spray a little out to find wind direction.
If the wind is swirling, the odds are the elk will be very skittish anyway. Try to keep from being seen as they will be looking everywhere. They will liely get your scent, but may not know where it came from. If they have not seen you they will head toward cover or where they planned on going anyway.
If you have patterned them, try to be ahead of their departure. If you have not, consider they are likely headed for a sheltered, covered area out of the wind. They like to be able to hear, see and smell and the wind screws that up.
The only times you will likely see them seeking wind is when it is hot and buggy like during mid summer. You can see large herds above timberline for that reason.

Yep, what QH said.... I think what he is also saying is that very rarelt have I come across a single Bull... usually he has cows or other younger bulls with him.. now .. not only do you have 1 set of eyes, ears and nistrils but you have many.. I bug Herd bull will watch every move, or action his cows make.. if they get jittery.. he gathers them and they are gone.... so all it takes is one of those cows to smell, hear or feel somthing that ain't right and you're busted!

I agree Quiet Hunter & Ric WORK THE WIND They can smell better than we can imagine.

"The Chuckster"
smile.gif

I too would emphasize watching the wind as your most effective means of scent controll. I also use the Scent Killer brand of products and feel that they really help. Years ago a few buddies and I were trying different scents while archery hunting elk. We decided that the elk seemed to bust us more frequently than when we didn't use them.

N. Sniper, I'm from Alaska and have a little experience hunting Elk & Deer on Shuyak and Afognak Islands (part of Kodiak Isand where Elk reside)
Leave all your calling paraphernalia at home, unless you want to be surrounded by brownies within minutes of your first call, The AK Dept. Of Fish & Game also don't recommend using any type of calls, be they mouth blown or electronic.
I agree with the other fellas on working the wind, but the wind on these Islands is very unpredictable, from one hill to another the winds can change out of your favor really quick.

I use the Scent Blocker hunting camo washed in Sports Wash Scent Destroying Laundry Detergent & UV Killer spray, both by Sno-Seal. Also I take the fresh green tops and branches of small spruce trees, chop them up into 1" to 2" pieces and place them into a large contractor trash bag with my hunting clothing, yep all clothing, including socks, underwear etc. several weeks before hunting season, makes you smell like a Christmas Tree and there's lots of those in Elk country.
When out hunting I carry a small spray bottle of Scent Killer and use it liberally under armpits, down your pants etc. etc.,-- pine and earth masking scents sprayed lightly on clothing and boots , I have never used any urines or in-heat type of scents for Elk or deer on the Islands, (bear attraction).... of course I use cow-moose-in-heat scents on the mainland for moose during the rut..brown bear season open during that time..

I use these methods for all my hunting, brown/black bear, moose, elk, deer, wolf, coyote and fox, I have had several red fox come within a few yards before getting spooked by movement..

Where you going for Elk? I like to hunt the Seal Bay area of Shuyak Island, there is miles of old logging roads in that place, we usally bring Mt. Bikes and believe it or not, elk and deer do not spook when you are rolling along on a bike.

Wish you the best of luck on your trip and good hunting...

P.S.
That area I mentioned has a nice herd of elk, we've taken some nice 6x6 and 5x6 elk and numerous 5x5 and 5x4 Sitka Blacktails..
usually you can get info on the herd locations from the Kodiak Office of the AK Dept. of Fish N' Game..

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.