Anybody in mid-west Arkansas interested in a Wyoming huntin buddy??

codyadams

So unfortunately I have to leave my wonderful home state of Wyoming so my wife can pursue further education and work opportunities in her career, so I am likely moving to Arkansas anywhere from one month to 4 months from now, and will be there for anywhere from 3 to 7 years before I can move back here. And don't get me wrong, I don't hate Arkansas by any means, but I will certainly miss being able to hunt monster mulies every year at 10,000 ft elevation with a $38 OTC tag, and chase 300"+ bulls every year with a $58 OTC tag as well. That one is going to hurt.

But while I am in Arkansas, I am wondering if I will be able to do any LR hunting of the whitetail deer, possibly hogs, or anything else. I am also interested in archery hunting as well, as I chase elk with a bow out here too. The entire year I live for the fall hunting season. It is 100% new to me, the only person I know out there is my father in law, and I have only visited one time.

I plan on coming back to Wyoming every year to hunt, the area I will be applying for has about a 50% or so draw odds for non-resident doe/fawn pronghorn, and I know the ranchers here and can hunt on their land (there are areas in the mid east and north east side of the state that are 100% draw odds, but access is a little more challenging, but doable if interested) and I also know how to get a 100% draw odd non-resident late season cow/calf elk tag (for under $300), with FANTASTIC long range opportunities. So if someone could help me out in Arkansas, I could certainly help them out in return on a Wyoming hunt or two, as this is my stomping grounds. We could even split travel expenses, and there is no trespass or guide fee, just travel to Wyoming for a pronghorn or elk hunt, or both, and have a good time.

A hunting buddy wouldn't be a bad thing for me to have in an area I don't know, my father in law doesn't hunt much, and I will be leaving all my hunting friends and family behind. I will be living near Paris, AK, so not far from the Ozark forest. My wife will be working in Ft. Smith. So that is our general location.

I love anything hunting and fishing, waterfowl, boating, I even spearfish and have freediving/spearfishing gear for multiple people. Any interest just send me a private message. Also posted in the Long range hunting section of the forum as well.

Take care.

Well, things fell through. We ended up moving back to Wyoming, likely for good. We will still go down to Arkansas for the next couple years to visit my Father in law, but he may be moving up here to be nearer to his family in the coming years.

Sorry to hear it fell through. I hope it ends up for the better. No go out and keep shooting critters to give us great reports!

Life is a never ending challenge of navigating the choices before us. A move to AR would have been fun (beautiful state) but as a hunter, WY has a lot going for it, too. Hopefully you are okay with how things ended up. I'm considering a move to AR myself in a few years. We were going to go to NM, but (sadly) the "progressives" have gained a majority there & put it on the California path. So sad. We'll see how things go in a few years when we are ready to move. (Why leave Texas? Property & School taxes are ridiculous.)

maybe South Dakota might work instead of calif we welcome Texans and our taxes are not bad besides I was born in calif and will never go back
The Black Hills of South Dakota are beautiful and the state isn't overloaded with people (yet?) Nice suggestion. Just a bit too much winter for me that far north. It would sure be a great place to have a summer home ;) I don't know how you guys up north do it.

SD is east of Wyoming not north, the weather is about the same in fact the report a few hours ago was that all roads in and out of Casper are closed.we live by Mitchell in the central part of the state and if my wife can handle it anyone can

Uh...okay. I think we have a communication mix up. I was talking of moving from TEXAS to ARKANSAS. You suggested SOUTH DAKOTA. Not sure how Wyoming and it's location became an issue here. (The OP, on the other hand, is staying in WYOMING...perhaps that's where the confusion came in?)

Be safe up there in the cold, white northern country. Did I mention it was 78 degrees here today and I got out to ride my motorcycle? I sure don't want to leave S. Texas. But apparently just asking for lower taxes on your property doesn't work.

Uh...okay. I think we have a communication mix up. I was talking of moving from TEXAS to ARKANSAS. You suggested SOUTH DAKOTA. Not sure how Wyoming and it's location became an issue here. (The OP, on the other hand, is staying in WYOMING...perhaps that's where the confusion came in?)

Be safe up there in the cold, white northern country. Did I mention it was 78 degrees here today and I got out to ride my motorcycle? I sure don't want to leave S. Texas. But apparently just asking for lower taxes on your property doesn't work.
Lol -9 this morning when I took my son to school. It warmed up to positive 9 in the afternoon though, so that isn't terrible....

Ha ha this storm and wind made it cold. I'm hoping it only lasts a week or so. The day before yesterday we hit 40 during the day, I was shoveling snow in the front yard wearing a tee shirt!!

After many years in Colorado I've just had my fill of snow & cold. WY & SD are beautiful places & I enjoy visiting during summer months. You guys living thru the winters have my respect & admiration. I've shoveled my lifetime's worth of sidewalks & driveways. Today is cold here...it is only going to reach 50 for a high. Everyone has coats on & complains about "the cold spell", lol! The "penalty" is the property & school taxes. Always something, right? Stay warm & safe @hydehunter & @codyadams :)

Frog4aday,I understand how you feel today we will have a high of 12* and low of -1.I don't get to shovel snow I have to use a small tractor I call my tonka toy because it is so small and at times spend 2 solid days moving snow that has blown in, last time 2 weeks ago snow fall was only 8" but the pile that blew into my drive way was 15' high and about a 20x20 foot print,thank God the snow plow driver that came by doing the roads called it the (snow drift from Hell) and took pity on me and ran the plow thru for about 150' past my house and then I spent 6 hours doing the rest.try to stay warm and safe my friend Hyde Hunter

Hey Hyde,
Wow...that's cold (12 degrees for a high & a low of -1.) And those snow drifts (15 feet high) are just incredible. You make a great point - just because it was an 8" snow doesn't mean the wind didn't blow and pile it all up against your house and/or garage! Sounds like you have a great snow plow driver. Still took you six HOURS to clear the rest?! Wow. And to think I used to get so mad when I'd shovel the sidewalk in Aurora, CO, and the snowplow guy would FINALLY show up and...plow a ton of snow right back onto the freshly cleared sidewalk! You'd either laugh or cry. I did some of both.

When I lived in Monument, CO, our first winter brought 206" of snow (2006/2007 winter.) I was stunned. It's not a ski resort! I was so thankful and blessed that my neighbor had an ATV with a snow plow blade on it. He'd hit the sidewalks (the whole neighborhood LOVED him!) and do part of my driveway when he had the time. God bless that man. What lesson did I take away from my time in Monument? Never have a NORTH facing driveway! Darn thing never thawed out.

Here in the Texas Hill Country, we woke up to temps of 26 degrees (brrr, ha!) but it warmed up fast and is now 70 and sunny (warmer than predicted.) I just love it. Our neighborhood is great. Our neighbors are great. The winters are heaven. But we pay $5000 a year in property and school taxes. We are not rich. We don't live in the 'fancy' housing development. We are just average, middle class, retired military folks. It just kills me. I now totally get how the elderly get 'priced' out of their own homes. Values go up, tax assessor keeps asking for more and more money, and pretty soon the TAXES are higher than their mortgage was when they bought the place. It is so sad.

I'm not sure what we are going to do. Taxes never go down, so options are to grin and bear it or move to a better 'tax' environment (hence the interest in Arkansas.) But for now, kid is in school so not going anywhere. We'll see what the future brings. And as much as I love the beauty of SD, WY, CO, MT, ID, etc., I just can't go back to doing "winter". I'm thinking AR is going to be an 'adjustment', but if we can get to the middle or lower part of the state, maybe not too bad? My 'dream' is to get enough land I could shoot on my own property. If not everything (.338 Win Mag is pretty dang loud) at least the .22s and maybe some suppressed stuff. That would be great.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.