Anybody Hunting In Maine?

Savage 12BVSS

Just wondered if there were many Maine posters aboard that hunt the pine tree state. Just came in from checking my deer cam, 5 degrees and still, went to my knees two places from all that late rain that soaked everything under the snow. Got an eight pointer at the cedar, saw him earlier this winter, big body but not good horns yet. Another year or so and he'll be a shooter. Also a spike that made it thru season, now if no bad crusts the coyotes can run on or cars when they cross roads they might make next year. Did find a place where if I get high enough I can see 200yds or better out over a flowage where the deer move back and forth. Dave

Well, not a lot of deer hunters on forum that hunt up here perhaps :) Maybe I'll try again this fall when seasons begin.

I live in Maine, coastal so a long range shot here is 250 yards. When I get up north I always bring a rifle to test out my long range loads. Shot a 5 pointer this year opening morning, didn't even get a chance to chase the big boy I was after. Meat in the freezer is always important in my house, and I got the opportunity to go to Colorado after elk, it was rough weather. I didn't see any horns but we did bring one back in our party.

Howdy had given up on any replies, I used to hunt north in the county. Big clearcuts that gave long shots on occasion. Meat in the freezer is important here also, Loin, backstrap, jerky, and sausage all get us thru them cold nights :) Congrats on your parties elk, hope you got some meat. Heres a big boy that got shot not far from me, hope he spread his genes around liberally. saw pics of him from both years before, interesting to watch the horns develop. Nice to hear from you. Big Non Typical.jpeg

Very nice. I hunt corn fields so it's almost cheating for Maine. Just got back into deer hunting a few years back. Shot a 138" 10 pointer in 16. I think the guy I've been after the last few years should be a mature 10 next year, I love watching them through the summer on game cameras.

Good Hunting! One I been watching was a decent 8 this year, if he dodges poachers and stays outa' the roads this winter he might be a shooter next fall. Game cams do the scouting we got to do the work, I'm watching deer in the backyard coming to dig up brown apples and some of that acorn mast last summer produced. Snow isn't keeping them in the cedar like most winters. Dave

Good luck. There's water everywhere. It rained an abnormal amount all summer long. Usually after a dry August I hunt wet spots, but this year the two I've gotten so far were in fields.

I will be hunting up in Bingham, so some sits will be on the powerline and spend some time still hunting ridges, congrats on your 2 deer
\

I go to Black Bear Outfitters of Maine every other year. Scheduled for 2023.
I lived in Laconia back in the late 80s to early 90s and never got to go hunting while I was there. I can remember seeing moose, black bear and deer walking thru downtown sometime in the late fall / winter. I would venture a trip if I knew where to go.
Ace