Anybody Here Know Anything About The Burris Ballistic Milling Reticle?

BigSky!

I just nabbed a couple of Burris MTAC scopes based on several good reviews and based on a good sale price. When I got home I noticed on the box that the reticles are not Mil Dot; rather, they are "Ballistic Milling" reticles. O.K., maybe just another proprietary name for a mil dot reticle. I got to Burris' website and they don't even have that reticle listed as one of their reticles. I then go on to search the internet for said reticle and can find zero information about the reticle, whether all spacings are in mils or fractions thereof, subtensions, ANYTHING; but, it was to no avail. Now, I am happy to know that the Burris MTAC series always seems to get good reviews and ratings. Does anybody here know anything about this "Burris Ballistic Milling" reticle? If so, will you please educate me? Thank you in advance.

The best way to solve such a puzzle is to measure the thing yourself. Post a target at exactly 100 yards, with distinctly marked measurements. One mil at 100 yds should be 3.6 inches, and if your reticle fits, you're good to go. If the scope is a second plane reticle, you may have to find what mag setting matches, if the manual doesn't tell you.

7magcreedmoor - I thought about that and hope I don't have to resort to doing that. I have no intention of opening these boxes until I am comfortable with the information I can find. Hell, I can find out on the internet who won the first curling match ever in Nova Scotia; but, I can't find, even from Burris, information on this reticle/system.

This measuring is just one of several tests I do with every scope I get. A tracking test on a tall target to ensure the turrets are accurate and consistent throughout the range of motion, reticle measuring to verify specifications (or create a reference chart if it doesn't match the manual), working with the parallax adjustment at several longer distances to see if the range markings on that knob are close enough to be usable (seldom find this to be the case, and most of my scopes don't have a parallax knob that can be slipped to correct). As Reagan put it, "trust, but verify"...

Well, based on what information I can find on the net, none of which comes from Burris, this appears to be a hybrid, MIL/MOA/BDC reticle (yes, all three in this one scope and reticle).

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts