Anybody heard of EGW scope rails? Any good?

Anybody heard of EGW scope rails? Any good?

I ask at the risk of sounding like an idiot....I know nothing about rails!

Yep, own one right now and had a second I sold. They are good bases in my opinion. The only reason I sold the second is due to setting my rifle up a little different. Used it as a trade toward new components.

Tank

Another dumb question...What do you mean "bedded"? Should I do mine that way? How big a deal is it?

Thanks again

Another dumb question...What do you mean "bedded"? Should I do mine that way? How big a deal is it?

Some time ago, I learned to glue my scope bases down. With screws. This worked.
Then I learned to put a piece of flat steel on the bases to make sure they were in the same plane. And I learned to shim a base here and there. With glue and screws. This worked better. I hope this helps.

Yes, a one piece base will work better yet, but try finding one for a Browning A-bolt short action.
Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer choice. :D

Thanks again

If the receiver you're going to attach a picatinny rail to is not perfectly true then when the rail is torque down it will become tweeked. Bedding resolves this issue if done properly and verified with a dial indicator when complete for trueness. Unless you have the tools and talent let a good smith do it for you. It's worth the effort as the rail will probably be on there for years.

D
Thanks again

They are skim bedded the same way you would skim bed a rifle in a stock. I use JB weld. Apply a very thin fine release agent to your action. I use kiwi neutral shoe Polish. Then hit the bottom mounting surface of the base with some 800 grit to give it a little grip. Also coat your mounting screws with release agent. Put a small amount of bedding compound on the mounting surface of your scope rail and mount your rail. Do not tighten the screws enoungh to squeeze all the bedding compound out. Just enough to snug it up and get a good bedding surface. Just like bedding an action. Clean up excess with qtips and allow to setup over night. This is just a quick run down if you do a search on Google I'm sure you can find better instructions and photos. Hope this helps.

They are skim bedded the same way you would skim bed a rifle in a stock. I use JB weld. Apply a very thin fine release agent to your action. I use kiwi neutral shoe Polish. Then hit the bottom mounting surface of the base with some 800 grit to give it a little grip. Also coat your mounting screws with release agent. Put a small amount of bedding compound on the mounting surface of your scope rail and mount your rail. Do not tighten the screws enoungh to squeeze all the bedding compound out. Just enough to snug it up and get a good bedding surface. Just like bedding an action. Clean up excess with qtips and allow to setup over night. This is just a quick run down if you do a search on Google I'm sure you can find better instructions and photos. Hope this helps.

Geez wish I had thought of that! But then that's why I come here to LRH...to learn.