Any Tips for Transporting Elk Antlers on Airplane?

Normally I would think since I am flying into Texas , which is my home state, I would be ok on this front, but some part of Texas are beginning to lean very far left which is very disturbing. So I totally agree with you that this is concern.

Unsure if any of you follow the democrat party debates, but last night Beto O'Rourke, former Texas US congressman had a tirade about gun control in the debate

See

I never thought I would see a Congressman from Texas with this viewpoint. Very disturbing.

Yup, very disturbing indeed from a guy who grew up very privileged and has no idea what freedom costs. He's even "culturally-appropriated" his own name for political expediency. People like him are too dumb to understand how viscerally connected freedom loving people are to their right to be on an equal playing field with anyone who would seek to do them harm. Have they ever heard of Concord Bridge? Men were eviscerated with machine gun fire on Omaha beach so that guys like us have the right to tell guys like Beto where the Bear poops in the buckwheat. A local talk radio show host refers to Beto as "Napoleon Dynamite". I think the moniker is apropos. Cheers.

Have shipped animals different ways...un-split elk rack as checked luggage (wrapped head with hose sections over tips), mulie velvet rack treated local and then split/shipped to home based taxidermist, bighorn sheep mounted by local taxidermist and then crated/shipped, international salted/expedited/shipped/imported. They all have their pros and cons.
For elk euro, I would recommend flying with rack (un-split) as checked bag. For elk shoulder mount, recommend flying with rack (split or un-split) or have mounted locally and then driving to pick up and bring back later. Would not recommend shipping an elk shoulder mount...expensive. But if you desire that route, there are companies that specialize in road transporting mounts (they do so in bulk with multiple stops) vs crating and shipping via Fedex like company.
For full body elk mount, I can only suppose one needs to first check prenup clauses before boarding one's private jet
If flying with meat, best to freeze first so no dry ice needed. If dry ice to be used, recommend flying Southwest as most others will charge you $100 per bag.
Always read and print out airline regs for guns, meat, dry ice...not all airline employees know their own regulations and the requirements vary by airport even on same airline. Prepare to be flexible and smile a lot through clenched jaw.
Most importantly, good luck on your hunt and safe travels.

I would not fly with anything I valued. I used to fly frequently for military stuff. I've had the morons at TSA tell me I had to remove my medals on my uniform because they were prohibited, had TSA steal from my luggage, and had airline baggage handlers destroy the contents of my luggage with rough handling. Matter of fact I have refused to fly, since I was forced to by the military. I've not flown since, and will not until the TSA is disbanded. If they can't handle regular luggage, I would never trust the airlines with antlers or meat.

Hello,

I am flying out for Elk hunt in Idaho first week of October. Normally I drive to any hunts, but this year due to work I am not able to get enough time from work to drive and have to fly.

Have any of you ever transported Elk Antlers on Airplane? I would really appreciate any experience and tips you could share. Also, please let me know your thoughts on if this is something I should attempt to do.

As an alternative, I thought of leaving antlers with local taxidermist and trying to make arraignments for them to ship via freight company.
Yeah....first and foremost...don't sit on them! ( Sorry I couldn't resist it)

As a former airline employee there is no way I would ever send anything valuable in checked baggage. If at all possible, send them via UPS or FexEx or a regular truck freight company, and if at all possible in a box. If a true trophy rack, in a wood box! Expensive, yes, but the closest you'll get to a guaranteed safe delivery! I spent too much time watching guys literally throwing gun cases (along with every other item) onto - or at least close to - belt loaders & cargo pods. Including live animals! Scary stuff!
Cheets,
crkckr

I live in Boise. If you decide on a European mount, I would recommend Swanson Skullery in Emmett. They only charge $125 and do an excellent job. We've had them do two elk mounts. https://www.facebook.com/swansonskullery/

If you decide on a head mount I would recommend Troy Rose. Troy owns Artistic Taxidermy and has done a pedestal mount for one elk. He used "shed" antlers for the pedestal. We also had him make rug mounts for a wolf and mountain lion.
http://www.artisticschooloftaxidermy.com/ Troy lifes in Kooskia, but comes to Boise at least once a week. You could leave your trophy with me, and Troy could pick it up. I takes over a year to finish, so you could just pick it up on a future hunt.
100MEDIA$IMAG0083.jpg

I'd never thought of a big rack in my personal luggage. Laughter here. How about just taking that big mounted head as your one carry-on? (More laughter!)
Me? I'd find a way to drive it home with a road trip! That's what we did when Dad bought a 7 foot extended mount of l-o-n-g-horns!

I started out as far down the ladder as one can with the airlines, washing dishes! The only job I managed to bypass (thank the airline gods!) was Fleet Service... that is, servicing the aircraft toilets! When I worked the ramp as a baggage handler I saw just about everything you can imagine come thru as checked baggage... Including many sets of antlers. While working the contract crew (other airlines) in LAX some of the funniest were Korean Airlines, where people would literally pack all their belongings on a bedsheet, then tie the ends together!

To the point, they'll accept things knowing it's unlikely the item is going to survive intact and one of those are antler sets. They are relatively delicate and the tips break off easily. If you're lucky you'll get guys on both ends who will handle them carefully, without tossing them around... but *depending* on luck rarely works out very well for me! Well? Are you feeling lucky?
Cheers,
crkckr

Have shipped animals different ways...un-split elk rack as checked luggage (wrapped head with hose sections over tips), mulie velvet rack treated local and then split/shipped to home based taxidermist, bighorn sheep mounted by local taxidermist and then crated/shipped, international salted/expedited/shipped/imported. They all have their pros and cons.
For elk euro, I would recommend flying with rack (un-split) as checked bag. For elk shoulder mount, recommend flying with rack (split or un-split) or have mounted locally and then driving to pick up and bring back later. Would not recommend shipping an elk shoulder mount...expensive. But if you desire that route, there are companies that specialize in road transporting mounts (they do so in bulk with multiple stops) vs crating and shipping via Fedex like company.
For full body elk mount, I can only suppose one needs to first check prenup clauses before boarding one's private jet
If flying with meat, best to freeze first so no dry ice needed. If dry ice to be used, recommend flying Southwest as most others will charge you $100 per bag.
Always read and print out airline regs for guns, meat, dry ice...not all airline employees know their own regulations and the requirements vary by airport even on same airline. Prepare to be flexible and smile a lot through clenched jaw.
Most importantly, good luck on your hunt and safe travels.
Thank you so much for the recommendation!

I live in Boise. If you decide on a European mount, I would recommend Swanson Skullery in Emmett. They only charge $125 and do an excellent job. We've had them do two elk mounts. https://www.facebook.com/swansonskullery/

If you decide on a head mount I would recommend Troy Rose. Troy owns Artistic Taxidermy and has done a pedestal mount for one elk. He used "shed" antlers for the pedestal. We also had him make rug mounts for a wolf and mountain lion.
http://www.artisticschooloftaxidermy.com/ Troy lifes in Kooskia, but comes to Boise at least once a week. You could leave your trophy with me, and Troy could pick it up. I takes over a year to finish, so you could just pick it up on a future hunt.
View attachment 149292
Thank you for the recommendations!

Not elk, but I shipped a moose rack from Alaska on a airline. Are you shipping meat? We shipped the meat through frozen cargo at the airport. We wrapped the skull in a couple game bags and duct tape, followed by a plastic garbage bag and duct tape. Covered the sharp points as others said and stacked it with the meat boxes.......arrived safe, sound, and frozen! I would leave as much skull as possible to help avoid breakage.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.