Any tips and thoughts for a long range rifle?

i have come about full circle started with 243 rem 700 went to browning abolt 7mag then to a rem sendero now i stevens/savage 7mag that i started customizing SSS trigger stockade stock fixing to order my 338 edge barrel i have less in it than my sendero and on paper its about the same but feels way better and easier to shoot and with the savage calibers are endless

+1 for stockade

If you can buy a custom for $1500 or less go that route. If not I would suggest looking at the 11/111 Savage Long Range Hunter. It is a new line of rifle by Savage that gives custom like advantages in a production rifle. It utilizes its aluminum bedded Accu-stock, proven Accu-trigger, and excellent accuracy for under $1000. As far as caliber it is a mater of preference. The 300 Win Mag, 300 WSM, 7 WSM, 284 Win., 6.5x55 Swede, 7mm Rem Mag, 280AI, 280 Rem, 270 Win, 270 WSM, 338 Win Mag, 30-06 w/heavy bullets (180+ grain) and the like will take out an elk at 900 or less. Some of the above will take elk to 1K+. So those are my thought. Howa, Weatherby Vangaurd series, and a Weatherby MKV if you can find one for that price would also be viable options. Winchester if you really want one, but the aforementioned will require some tuning to really tighten up the groups.

Tank

Thanks for the input liltank ive just checked out the savage model 111 and it looks to be pretty good and the price i think is outstanding for what you get accutrigger, accustock, free floating barrel, 26" heavy barrel with muzzle break and as you said the range of calibers are directly in my line of sights so this rifle is definately going to be checked out

Thanks again - Jaygun)

I disagree totally with those who believe a magnum is needed to shoot elk/stag at 900 yards. Using Berger bullets with a high BC and shooting something that is comfortable to shoot leads to good shot placement = dead critter every time. I have killed a 350 BC Elk at 902 yards with a 6-284 with a 105 grain VLD and have witnessed a 330 bull killed at 1115 yards and a 372 bull killled at 735 yards with this same cartridge. All these bulls were killed with one shot and only one traveled more than 10 yards after being hit (that one hit the ground so hard he slid down a hill approximately 50 yards!!). There are several calibers out there by using the right components are fully capable of killing elk size critters at extended ranges that are not Magnums.. 6-284, 6.5-284, 6.5-06AI are just a few of great choices for a person who doesn't want to put up with obnoxious breaks that seem to accompany magnums along with their ablility to produce flinching tendencies. Check out the Trophy Page on www.cloudpeakgunworks.com .
CPGfan--any of the 7s?

Hey guys im looking for tips and advice on a new long range rifle for ranges of 650 to 900 yards for a mix target practise down on the range and hunting of elk and deer mainly done within northern sweden the environment is extremely similar to that of canadas.​

I was looking at either the Remington 700 XCR tactical long range in 308. and the Remington 700 sendero also in 308. and outfitting the rifle with either a Huskemaw or Bushnell scope. Any tipss or advice will be much appreciated.
My budget is around $2500 to $3000​

Thanks
:)gun)​

The problem with the 308 is not accuracy but recomended energy at those kind of distances.

We all know that you can kill a large game animal at great distances with a well placed shot
of almost any medium caliber. but should you?.

To give you an idea of range needed/recomended to take stag size game Here are some
examples=

280 Rem =160gr bullet @ 2800 ft/sec =1453 ft/lbs energy at 500 yards (1500 ft/lbs is
recomended for elk) and at 750 yards you are down to 1014 ft/lbs energy. (Deer size game).

308 Win= 165 gr bullet @ 2800 ft/sec = 1435 ft/lbs energy at 475 yards and 986 ft/lbs
at 700 yards.

300 RUM= 180 gr bullet @ 3250 ft/sec = 1481 ft/lbs at 800 yards and 1041 ft/lbs at 1000 yards.

I have and love all of the calibers I have made reference to and for your intended use and
range I would choose the 300 mags or the 338 for this type of hunting.

The main reason is that at those ranges making a perfect shot is very hard no matter how good
a person is and a slight error will not ruin a hunt with a larger more powerful round.

I don't like muzzle breaks and don't use them on most of my rifles but on the longer range
rifles you have plenty of time to do all of the calculations and put ear protection on.

Not trying to start an argument just stating what I would recomend. For 600+yard hunting on
big game. "go bigger".

J E CUSTOM

280 Rem =160gr bullet @ 2800 ft/sec =1453 ft/lbs energy at 500 yards (1500 ft/lbs is
recomended for elk) and at 750 yards you are down to 1014 ft/lbs energy. (Deer size game).

308 Win= 165 gr bullet @ 2800 ft/sec = 1435 ft/lbs energy at 475 yards and 986 ft/lbs
at 700 yards.

300 RUM= 180 gr bullet @ 3250 ft/sec = 1481 ft/lbs at 800 yards and 1041 ft/lbs at 1000 yards.

J E CUSTOM

Or just for conversation sake...

6.5x284 = 140 gr VLD @ 2900 ft/sec = 1486 ft/lbs @ 500 yards and 1020 ft/lbs @ 800 yards...

I'd contact Kirby Allen or Shawn Carlock on here. Both build guns and both are hunters that know their calibers and ranges. The 7mmWSM seems like a minimum but a great choice or possibly a 338 Edge or even a 6.5 something might do. How heavy a gun do you want to carry? How much practice and pounding on your sholder can you take?

Have fun and be safe...

Last edited:
I've killed quite a few elk with a 400 grain arrow at 290 fps that only delivers 80 foot pounds of energy or so. I have a 6.5 x 284 and a 7wsm. I personally feel that's all I need, but it is fun to listen to those big 338 300 grain sierras hit the target.

Remgton came out with the 700 Long Range this year. It comes outfitted with a Bell & Carlson stock, heavy barrel, x-Mark Pro trigger, and you can buy them for about $700.00. I bought one in 300 Win Mag. I love it. With the heavy barrel and the decellerator pad, it is comfortable to shoot.

I would also not skimp on a scope. Nightforce is a great product. Check them out.

TechHunter

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.