any thoughts on the vortex gen ll pst's?

I tested 2 scopes and they did the exact same thing. its a trait of that batch of scopes or maybe all of them. The good news is for most calibers it would pretty much automatically account for spin drift if your shooting a right twist barrel. Look all this crap is known about vortex stuff. the fact is few people actually shoot that often. fewer still actually test and check this stuff. everything else about the PST gen 2 is awesome, features etc. my time is limited. the rifle this was going on gets used one pretty much once in a lifetime hunts. why risk a failure to save $800 bucks on a scope which 6 or 7 years from now will be worth half what you paid for it if not less. a nightforce will hold its value and not fail. buy once cry once.

I'm sure you'll be fine Steve. I wasn't trying to sway anyone one way or another, just telling my experience. My buddy isn't unhappy so why should I be?

I bought one and it showed right reticle movement as you adjusted up in elevation. it had about 3/4 moa reticle shift as it approached 20 moa. I returned it to the store and bought another and it also did the same thing. took it back and ended up buying a nightforce. not ever buying a vortex scope again.
I'm not picking on you. I just have a problem wrapping my head around the 3/4 moa error in tracking. I just got through testing 2 of my Nightforce 5.5x22, one is a 56 and the other is a 50 if that makes any difference. From my back porch to the barn is 195 yards, I hung a blue 1/4" rope from the roof with a weight on the end, I figure gravity will keep it straight. With one scope I screwed the elevation all the way down. Put the CH's on the rope, backed the turret all the way up and I can see now just how hard it is to know if the scope is exactly level. In this uncontrolled test I came to the conclusion only HP White Laboratories could actually test the tracking on a scope. My 5.5x22 has 100 MOA of adjustment, that's over eight feet. I found it **** hard to level the scope to suit me.

Last edited:
I'm digging mine so far - I think it's been great. Used it to take my muley at 375 and cow elk at 586 this year. Everything seemed spot on.

I think the Burris XTR 2 was the better deal. I ordered both, and kept the Burris. I do notice a lot of gen 2 pst for sale. Seems like guys are getting them and realizing it's a gen 1 with updated turrets.
I think the SHV F1 is the deal right now. Although I won't sell my XRT 2 to get one.

the burris has been proven to have inferior glass,and to suffer from chromatic abberation when compared to the gen ll pst.i had a veracity 5-25,which has the same glass as the xtr ll and i had to let it go.the gen ll has to offer alot more than the gen l or everyone wd be at vortexs front door to beat their *** for lying

the burris has been proven to have inferior glass,and to suffer from chromatic abberation when compared to the gen ll pst.i had a veracity 5-25,which has the same glass as the xtr ll and i had to let it go.the gen ll has to offer alot more than the gen l or everyone wd be at vortexs front door to beat their *** for lying
I didn't see it Steve. My Burris was the better deal for the money.

I'm not picking on you. I just have a problem wrapping my head around the 3/4 moa error in tracking. I just got through testing 2 of my Nightforce 5.5x22, one is a 56 and the other is a 50 if that makes any difference. From my back porch to the barn is 195 yards, I hung a blue 1/4" rope from the roof with a weight on the end, I figure gravity will keep it straight. With one scope I screwed the elevation all the way down. Put the CH's on the rope, backed the turret all the way up and I can see now just how hard it is to know if the scope is exactly level. In this uncontrolled test I came to the conclusion only HP White Laboratories could actually test the tracking on a scope. My 5.5x22 has 100 MOA of adjustment, that's over eight feet. I found it **** hard to level the scope to suit me.

here are pictures of the fixture and the backer board, its got a weighted string in the middle. it makes placing the target very simple to get perfectly level. the mount is adjustable up down and left and right. I also use a long tape measure to measure exactly 100 yards. the markings are exactly MOA. The PST 2 did track the right distance up and down but it just added right reticle travel as it did so. level the target, level the reticle to it, cinch down the rings its pretty easy to see it. I also tested the nightforce I traded for and it tracked true and straight. none of these issues. its a problem with the scope no if ands or buts about it. and I had the same problem with 2 different scopes. vortex if your watching, dudes people are checking this crap now days. your scopes have a reputation for not being squared away. its clear the reputation is deserved.

This article explains the cant error seen in Cowboy's tests. See the "Reticle Cant" section. The problem is caused by the internal reticle not being aligned with the turrets properly.

I have a Gen 1 PST that doesn't have this problem at all. Cowboy certainly may have gotten two different scopes that have the error though. I think that is a QC issue on Vortex's part.
http://precisionrifleblog.com/2014/08/22/tactical-scopes-mechanical-performance-part-2/

This article explains the cant error seen in Cowboy's tests. See the "Reticle Cant" section. The problem is caused by the internal reticle not being aligned with the turrets properly.

I have a Gen 1 PST that doesn't have this problem at all. Cowboy certainly may have gotten two different scopes that have the error though. I think that is a QC issue on Vortex's part.
http://precisionrifleblog.com/2014/08/22/tactical-scopes-mechanical-performance-part-2/
I don't know if it is cant the reticle stayed straight with the line and just walked to the right as you adjusted the reticle it didn't have the line X across the center at any point. Also the click values measured up correctly with the marks. it was simply like I adjusted the turret 3 clicks right as I got to 20 MOA

I don't know if it is cant the reticle stayed straight with the line and just walked to the right as you adjusted the reticle it didn't have the line X across the center at any point. Also the click values measured up correctly with the marks. it was simply like I adjusted the turret 3 clicks right as I got to 20 MOA
That's the issue they describe in the article. Article is just gives a rather poor explanation.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.