Any thoughts on Groups from a 243.

I would definitely try that its not going to hurt to try if your groups improved than who ever bedded it didn't bed the recoil lug right if your action was bedded than downward pressure shouldn't matter unless it wasn't done properly I think your action is stressed somewhere if has a magazine make sure the mag channel piece that your mag actually slides into is moveable it needs to float in their so it doesn't bind against the action

I will put the new vortex on today.

gohring3006- I think your on to something with the stock, the only thing I can think of is it is still shooting decent groups at 100 yards (last group yesterday was .529), not as good as it was, but not too bad for a factory barrel. Shot at 200 again and the group was 4 ".

The stock is a wood stock, maybe I have the screws too tight. I read somewhere that you should put the butt of the stock on the ground, put plenty of downward pressure on the barrel and tighten the front screw very very snug, then tighten the back screw tight.
is this correct ?

The rest is on a concrete bench with bipods and sand bags.
That sounds like some terrible advice.

set it flat and level and torque the front and rear screws to the same tension. What you were advised above is asking for a problem because it would be starting off with your action in a bind.

I already think his action is binding if you read my first reply so it doesn't hurt to try it what does he have to lose and if the action is bedded right there will be no change that's the purpose of bedding to have a solid platform for the action to ride in. If it is bedded right it won't bind so its worth a try

also make sure you didn't ding the crown in the process some times a bad crown won't show up at 100yrds but will farther out

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.