any Smith and Wesson fans

My 44 came from my late uncle who carried it when he was hunting. He had the trigger reworked and I must say it is (in single action) light as a feather. Even double action is light. It was given to me after his death and I cherish it.

Mine is a 2 screw top strap.

No issue with heavy trigger pull on mine.

Very nice, extremely collectable firearms.

I don't care for their personal defense firearms either.

Mine has a nice patina from being in and out of the holster (DeSantis) and at least in my view, the wood grips add a distinctive touch.... I would not change a thing.

Clint Eastwood, in his movies, shot a 357 (with blanks of course), not a 44. The 44 in his view, kicked too hard.

From my experience I would have you put Pachmayr grips on them especially the 629. If you don't better take some forceps with you to the range to help pick the splinters out of your hands. :D I hate those factory wood grips.

LOL.. I love the look of the wood grips but I will see how my hand likes them.

I have and shot a lot of S&W revolvers. Like most have said it's a whole lot in trigger control. Sure makes you a better rifle shot though.

Yes those wood grips look pretty but they just don't fit my smaller hands and when new the cut checkering rips the flesh on my shooting hand with the hard kickers. The Pachmayr grips fit me much better and because of their design the web of my shooting hand is not pounded like the wood grips allow. If you have an extended range cession with the 44 mag a bottle of aspirin may come in handy. I always use good ear protection but just the concussion from shooting a box or three 44 mags gives me a headache.

I started out with a 6 inch model 27,but when I started guiding I move up to a 8 3/8 model 29.I took a mule deer in Montana and a bear in Maine with it.I am shooting a 500S&W now.I have not had the chance to hunt with it yet

Added a new one to the collection today. Model 57 no dash in 41 magnum. She's in the middle

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 138
I have been a shooter and collector of S&W revolvers for over 35 years. One of my prize pieces is an early 6" 44mag Model 29. Still have the original mahogany box/screwdriver etc. Accuracy is impressive and the action is like butter and the bluer finish is like a mirror.

I have 3 629's. All have hogue rounded wood handles. No checkering. Slick. The Pachmayr grips tend to pinch (grip and pull) your skin. With the wood grips i can shoot shot no 60 in a session like i shot no 1.

Tack drivers all 3 of them. Shoot one 1290fps w 240 gr XTP and the other 2 1350 fps with 240 gr XTP

1 has leupold 2.5-8x scope, 6.5" barrel
1 has iron sights 6.5" barrel
1 has red dot zeiss (want to change it to a trijicon) and 7.5" barrel

scoped one has accounted for close to 2 dzn deer from 60-140 yards. at 140 yards at 1290 the 240 gr punched a clean hole but the rutting buck hung around for a follow up at 80 that put him down. Inside 120 yards they open up nicely at that velocity.
the red dot zeiss got me a pig at 106 yards and some deer inside 100. that's the one im working with these days.

Love my S&W and may be getting a 686. But then i saw the new dan wesson 357...

Snook. That 715 DW is also high on my list of must haves. Its a beauty

Oh and the Tarpon is the greatest inshore gamefish EVER! end of discussion. This is from a guy living on Charlottle Harbor for 4 years. Unfortunately not there anymore but hope to be back down in FL in a few more years.

Love my 460xvr. Hammers bucks at 50yds!

Attachments

• 1916186_1261275008716_8374778_n.jpg
    1916186_1261275008716_8374778_n.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 115
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.