Any recomendations for shelf ammo to start with?

Awesome, Thanks guys!

I have some HSM Berger 168s here, 40 of them and 80 "other" rounds lol. Figured id get used to running the rifle on the lower grade and start getting serious on the good stuff.

Awesome, Thanks guys!

I have some HSM Berger 168s here, 40 of them and 80 "other" rounds lol. Figured id get used to running the rifle on the lower grade and start getting serious on the good stuff.
Be sure to slow down and break it in right. It will save you lots and lots of aggravation later in life.

Another vote for the HSM, esp. the 180. They are getting harder to come by these days though; my friend has been on the waiting list/back order since Sep/Oct of 2014 for the 180s.

Be sure to slow down and break it in right. It will save you lots and lots of aggravation later in life.

Im almost at a loss with this Wild. I've read and seen 100 different ideas and videos on how to break it in...

I've read things that border on ridiculous and things that seem like i dont know.

What is the consensus around these parts?

Im almost at a loss with this Wild. I've read and seen 100 different ideas and videos on how to break it in...

I've read things that border on ridiculous and things that seem like i dont know.

What is the consensus around these parts?

Don't sweat it too much as there are plenty of recommendations out there. I currently use Dan Lilja's >>> Lilja Precision Rifle Barrels - Centerfire Maintenance or with minor modification. I use a bore guide, one piece rod, and jags.

I know a lot of folks don't like using dead sled but this is one of those times that I use them as I can transition from shooting to cleaning and back to shooting in no time and with ease.

Good luck!

Don't sweat it too much as there are plenty of recommendations out there. I currently use Dan Lilja's >>> Lilja Precision Rifle Barrels - Centerfire Maintenance or with minor modification. I use a bore guide, one piece rod, and jags.

I know a lot of folks don't like using dead sled but this is one of those times that I use them as I can transition from shooting to cleaning and back to shooting in no time and with ease.

Good luck!
I just use a bipod and rear bags so I don't have to lug the rest around.

The break in procedure linked to above is just fine.

I've been told the one I use is crazy but it works for me.

I use a little lapping compound on a patch after the first shot for three shots, Run a jag/patch with oil in between repeat then at ten shot intervals after that for the first 30.

Then I clean the snot out of it and go on.

I just use a bipod and rear bags so I don't have to lug the rest around.

The break in procedure linked to above is just fine.

I've been told the one I use is crazy but it works for me.

I use a little lapping compound on a patch after the first shot for three shots, Run a jag/patch with oil in between repeat then at ten shot intervals after that for the first 30.

Then I clean the snot out of it and go on.

I don't mine lugging the rest around when breaking in a rifle as it makes it easier and secures the rifle while cleaning ...

P1020324A_zpsf0663599.jpg

I always follow german salazar's barrel break in procedure from the article in Riflemanshjournal.

I have always had excellent results, accuracy wise with Remington core-lokt ammo. Inexpensive for break-in proceedure for your new barrel, and always seems to shoot well in just about any rifle. It is also readily available because lots of folks are looking for the Premium ammo. Once again, this is great ammo for barrel break-in, due to the price.
After break-in, you can then switch to ammo more practical for your intended purpose, although core-lokt ammo is excellent for deer size game, and is still used by many hunters even though there are better bullets loaded in ammunition now.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.