Any practical uses for antler?

Jclark225

Curious what folks do with any extra antler they have laying around. I've got some bone taking up precious shop space and need to make room. I was thinking dog chews and a couple knife handles but was wondering what other people do. No more room in the house.

Attachments

• IMG_20200204_115340675.jpg
    IMG_20200204_115340675.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 57
Made a couple pan primers for my flintlocks for my 4F black powder and a handle for my patch knife I carry with me while black powder hunting. I lost a lot of photos on google drive a couple years ago when they canceled the free could hosting, had to screen shot these from a video. Can make a short starter out of a piece as well.

You can make overlays on traditional bows on the front of the risers and limb tips. Can also use the bases for limb bolts on traditional bows like Black Widow traditional bows do. You can take a band saw and cut them however thick you want to make buttons as well, they cut like butter.

Worst case, you can get a pretty penny per lb. from the antler buyers around here.
E91D7B34-9DBC-4E8E-99C2-0DB26BEA336E.png
AC8B188B-43CD-49CF-905A-EF35D4A4D1EE.png
738202F5-909C-449B-8B4C-C1F1274134BA.png

Made a couple pan primers for my flintlocks for my 4F black powder and a handle for my patch knife I carry with me while black powder hunting. I lost a lot of photos on google drive a couple years ago when they canceled the free could hosting, had to screen shot these from a video. Can make a short starter out of a piece as well.

You can make overlays on traditional bows on the front of the risers and limb tips. Can also use the bases for limb bolts on traditional bows like Black Widow traditional bows do. You can take a band saw and cut them however thick you want to make buttons as well, they cut like butter.

Worst case, you can get a pretty penny per lb. from the antler buyers around here.
View attachment 317528View attachment 317529View attachment 317530
Awesome ideas, especially about the limb overlays. I have a couple trad bows that would be cool to spruce up.

Curious what folks do with any extra antler they have laying around. I've got some bone taking up precious shop space and need to make room. I was thinking dog chews and a couple knife handles but was wondering what other people do. No more room in the house.
Well those are probably the two most popular uses for extra bone, I have dogs that's where mine go

I sold a bunch of whitetail antlers for over $700.00 this year.
They give $12-15.00 a pound for them in WY and always running ads.
Had many years worth of racks and, like you I had no room or idea what I wanted to do with them.