Any places to shoot long range in Virginia?

Peacemaker is legit. Everything you could want.
I finally finished my .28 Nosler and put a Nightforce nx8 on it. I developed a load and got it shooting .625 at 200 yards. Now I'm trying to find a place where I can shoot out to 1000 to double check everything. It's extremely frustrating here. As I'm from Arizona and places to shooting was extremely easy to find.
Anyone know of a public or even better a private range? I'm in the Blacksburg area but willing to travel
I'm from AZ too, and live just outside DC now. Arizona will definitely spoil a guy, luckily I still get to spend about 6 weeks a year out there. Still want to shoot local here though so this thread is very timely for me. Been considering checking out quantico but maybe with someone that has shot there before.

Last edited:
I finally finished my .28 Nosler and put a Nightforce nx8 on it. I developed a load and got it shooting .625 at 200 yards. Now I'm trying to find a place where I can shoot out to 1000 to double check everything. It's extremely frustrating here. As I'm from Arizona and places to shooting was extremely easy to find.
Anyone know of a public or even better a private range? I'm in the Blacksburg area but willing to travel
I THINK that they WERE building a potential 1000 yard rang at the Kettlefoot Range near Abingdon but a flood washed it all out a couple of years ago. I don't know where they stand now.

Isaac Walton league has a nice shooting facility and good guys 20 minutes away. They have trap, pistol, 200yard rifle, dedicated 22 range with silhouettes, and a fishing pond. Some guys in that club can point you to the long range facility that is a private club( I think it's called Shiloh) so it does require an in. They have shooting out to 1000.
csant seem to find thge isaac walton league anywhere close to me. any links?

HI I have shot at BANG STEEL SHOOTING SCHOOL, in Wytheville, Virginia. It's in the southwest corner of the state , not too far from Bristol. Father and Son teach a two- or three-day school. Steel targets out to 1200 yards. and a Rock, at one mile. I've been there twice with my 270 Weatherby mag !! Contact Dan or Forrest Newberry at 276 613 3410. Tell the Lenny Foffa from NJ sent you.
looks like its just a school. do they let people shoot or do you have to do the school? i have no desire to take a school. ive been doing long range a long time

I'm from AZ too, and live just outside DC now. Arizona will definitely spoil a guy, luckily I still get to spend about 6 weeks a year out there. Still want to shoot local here though so this thread is very timely for me. Been considering checking out quantico but maybe with someone that has shot there before.
Man I miss AZ, where you from? I was in Payson, Dad had a custom gun shop there, and we had some steel targets we hiked up in the mountians, 500- 1200- 1700 yrds

There is an Isaak Walton is off 610/Garrisonville Rd in Stafford.

Hi Nosler, If your question about the Bang Steel School was for ,me to answer, the let me try. The "Class" is usually in the living room. I have done 1/2 day Classroom learning about ballistics, and 1/2 day at the range. One time it was raining so we were in the class all day, the next day all day at the range. The range has steel targets from 100 yards to 1100 yards. many targets are odd numbers, like 760 yards or 520 yards, which I found great because it more closely mimics hunting situations. Sometime the deer is not at 400 yards exactly. As I said , I have no place in NJ to shoot beyond 300 yards, so for me it was all good and lots of fun. Now if you have been a shooter, and handloader all your life , you ,may find some of what they teach to be what you already know. When you have a mixed class , as we did last year, you must teach to the people with the least amount of knowledge. As I have been a handloader for 50 years, I understand the relevance of knowing your caliber, and Muzz Velocity at a specific altitude, and the BC of the projectile. How far down range the projectile will remain supersonic. Also how OGIVE and COAL lengths can affect accuracy in your specific rifle, so you just sit through stuff like that, while the NEWBIES, are hearing those words for the first time. Last year I LEARNED shooting 130 Grn Ballistic tips at 3300 fps out of my 270 Weatherby mag, was very different from shooting the 150 grn ABLR with a .591 BC that I shot the year before. Last year was very windy, and my spotter was having me hold 10 MOA to the right at 800 yards , and was still missing sometimes. Its one thing to read about that, and quite another to experience it first hand. I have been twice and may go back again, just to have three or 4 guys witness me shooting a target ( Rock ) at one mile with a hunting rifle. ( Maybe ). I am patient and I love to learn. I hope this was helpful to you