Any outifitter recs for Montana?

Teutonic

Want to chase a Montana elk. Three things I would really like are good scenery, to see enough animals to have the opportunity to shoot, and an honest nice guide. Minor criteria would be cost and accomadations. Any recs?

We have a great elk area but it is by permit only. you can check our website or give us a call if you like.

Thank you for your info Mr. Martin. It is interesting how I get a feeling on a person's forthrightness just by looking at their website. I appreciate that. We are planning for a hunt in 2011. There will be 4 of us. I will need tag guarantee I would assume. Also, I was really hoping to see the Montana mountains. Any thoughts?

Thank you for your info Mr. Martin. It is interesting how I get a feeling on a person's forthrightness just by looking at their website. I appreciate that. We are planning for a hunt in 2011. There will be 4 of us. I will need tag guarantee I would assume. Also, I was really hoping to see the Montana mountains. Any thoughts?
The way Mt. FWP sets rules it will not be possible to say what licensing procedure might be in 2011, I can tell you for this year outfitter sponsor licenses were available and I assume will be then. my area is still in a drawing area for elk and you would also have to draw the permit after buying the license. as far as the mountains I can't help you out there. we have the little rockies but they ain't western Mt. or Idaho. also keep in mind the wolf issue, we do not have them here YET but they are in most mountain areas and have had a huge impact on the elk herds, there are areas that are now 50 and 60% below population objectives. If and when you go on your hunt with who ever you chose remember you are buying a hunt and not a elk. most real hunting outfitters will try their best but none have elk in a pen out back to sell you, that is a game farm.

I know little of the terrain or issues facing Montana elk. Hence, I don't know where the go to areas are. Wanted to pick an area where I would have a reasonable chance of success.

I just learning about this wolf issue. WHAT THE HECK! Why would anyone feel the need to introduce this predator. Years of game conservation thrown down the tubes. Liberalism, i.e. idealism, truly is a mental disorder.

Teutonnic, I don't know Bud Martin, but what he is telling you here is the straight stuff. And that is worth a lot. I was born and raised in MT, mostly hunt on my own w/ some success but went on one guided elk hunt in the Bitterroot Mtns. a few years back and came up dry. The guide was honest, the scenery was great, the food was fantastic, but the elk didn't show ..... and that was before the wolves were re-introduced. Now, more and more, the wolf owns the day, but there is hope ... you can also now apply for a wolf license in MT gun).... not much meat ... but you are doing the elk a favor.

Call Bill Hoppe, he has been in the business a long time, and has generations of knowledge. He is great to work with, and for. He hunts in southern Park county, Montana. Good luck! The thing to remember with a bunch of these outfits is, if their lips are moving......They are lying.
Bill's phone number is(406) 848-7651 Be sure to ask how long they have been in business, not just played guide. Ask about the area they hunt, it sucks to pay big bucks to go on a hunt, to have a local ding dong pass you on his horse or wheeler.

Last edited:
Lost Creek Outfitters. Good friend of mine Jeremy Fatouros. Sounds like they've been getting some good bulls off of the mountain this year.

He's out of Livingston, MT.

I have known Bud for a long time. I have never hunted with him but he is as honest as the day is long. Bud and his son Richard will do the best they for all of their clients. I have seen many photo's of successful hunts you can also see his Facebook site to see other comments. Bud is as native as it gets in MT. Good Luck

If you can luck out and draw a tag, try Kelly burke @ burke ranch outfitters, may have some landowner/outfitter tags also, he hunts the Missouri Breaks by Fort Peck lake, and works his A** off for you !
I just got back from hunt with them and was IMPRESSED !

I also know lost Creek Outfitters owner Jermy, good guy. Another guy who works for me in the summer guides for LCO. They have had a pretty good season despite the spell of hot weather that had been haunting us for a while.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.