Any one doing serious shooting w/338 RUM

royinidaho

Am interested in the maximum expected velocity in 338 Rum and 250gr bullet?

Want 3175 out of the 250gr bullet. Is the 338-300Rum necessary to do it?

Thanks

The 338RUM MIGHT do it with a 30"
The 338 Tomahawk (338-300RUM with both a 35 or 40 degree shoulder) will do it in a 30" for sure.
The improved 338-300RUM launching 300SMKs in a 32" barrel is a real hammer. Working rounding up componets for mine as we speak.

Roy,
I am currently building a 338 ultra improved for long range elk slaying and have been researching things quite a bit lately.
I worked up a load last month for a 338 ultra standard and was very impressed with the amount of power at long range that came from the high bc of the Nosler 225 Accubond. It is rated at .550 and it matched the charts pretty well at that bc.
One thing I noticed though was that in a Remmy magazine, the 338 ultra with the 225 accubond is barely able to fit. The bullet is seated in so deep that the case mouth is almost past the ogive. With the 338-300 ultra, you would definetly need to lengthen the box. THis would be a hassle and added expense for a very slight improvement in case capacity versus the 338 ultra improved. I opted for the latter because it is worth it to me to leave my stock and bedding alone if all I give up is 100 fps. Plus, you retain a longer neck with the 338 ultra case. And the elk is never going to know the diff between the 225 accubond at 3250 or 3350.

I would suspect that the 250's would do 3100 from a 28" barrel if pushed hard enough. On the 338 ultra I did, it didn't shoot worth a tinkers **** until it was near or at max pressure.

Which 250 are you going to be shooting?

Been doing a bunch of research along the same lines. Nothing like a bit of pioneer spirit. Someone's gotta do it first. Just pleased that you are leading the way./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Been shooting a 338 Win w/Sierra 250 Gamekings. Getting .5s @ 200yds and 2800 fps SD of about 4. Its great fun. When zero'd @ 245 traject from there on out is the same as the 270 Win 130/140gr @ 3200 zero'd at a shorter distance, which is what I am used to. Thus the mil dot holds are the same. That's cool too.

Had confusing results w/nonlead bullets in lilja bbl, pressure/velocity were "funny". Kirby explained why. Anyway the bbl on the 338 what ever will be at Lilja and at least 28". Bullet will most probably be the Wildcat 250 @ at least that's what I'm leaning towards for chamber design.

I ran the numbers on your 820 yd elk shot FPE and figure that's the low end of the energy spectrum that I want to hit the elk with.

Only info I've come up with on the net is:
????

Not much there.

A little Southeast Idaho Italian math says 3175 it 13.4% greater than 2800 and 85gr is 13.4% greater than 75 Therefore (math talk/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif) 85gr of RL-22 should get me there. Ya its gotta be that easy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

The RUM case holds ~91gr RL-22 to the base of the neck about like the Win holds 75gr.

The 250 gr bullet seats about as deep in the RUM case due to mag length as the same bullet seats in the Win case due to the short throat length.

RUM seems to feed fine w/o any rail adjustments. What about the improved version?

Definitely not adverse to shooting single shot. May even prefer it. To get the 250 or even the 225 to seat no deeper than the base of the neck (with the proper throat) single shot would have to be it. Not gonna mess the magazine $$

My last (stuck in old thinkin') consideration is that the 250 w/.7xx BC @ 3175 w/a reasonable zero distance puts the bullet just about at 5 mils low (the top of the post on most Mil Dot rets) thus no clicking necessary. (my cals say the Win does it at 800 - I'm after that extra 200 yds) I find clicking (ups&downs) a bit tough to remember when actually hunting.

So much for that. Got the day off. Gonna start on the drop chart shooting part of this and see if the BC and actual agree. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Well, after reading my own post; if I'm agreeable to single shot why not just go to the 338-300 RUM whatever and be done with it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Geez, I gotta get out more /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

just returned from Alaska, hunting coastal blacks on POW.
I chose the rem 700 in .338RUM and a burris black diamond scope with Bal. Mil dot. The federal load in 225 accubond factory load matches the scope so close that it was a shoe-in..Not to mention the ballistics of the round.
I practiced out to 400 yards and after it was over, I had reduced the trigger down from 8 pounds and moved the scope forward, and installed a limbsaver pad.I felt good. First day out, I took my bear 25yards. Go figure, spot and stalk turned into a meet and greet, face off, I won.....The 225 gr accubond is awsome, no exit hole, insides jelly. 4000 plus energy out the end.,
bob /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.