Any of you have this weird problem

Here's my .02. I think part of what's going on might be that the Orange dots (if they are on a white background) can be hard to "lock into" as opposed to superimposing the crosshairs on a target with grid lines. I always the Redfield precision sight in targets (or something equivalent) so that I can lock right in on the grid. I also use a heavy bag up front that really cradles the forearm and a rear bag (like the set-up pictured). I think the bipod might be the other piece of the puzzle. I totally agree with slapping the bipod on and verifying POI after the load is validated off the bag but I don't use a Bipod for testing purposes. Hope this adds to the discussion!
13774F4F-838E-4BC8-BE50-D23BBF6D1548.jpeg
9F72DFDF-144F-4839-B12F-C04DD60D12E8.jpeg

Besides all the excellent advice already given, I will touch on something that has not been mentioned and is my biggest nemesis, mirage. This is especially true for load development. I practically won't shoot anymore when there is much mirage and that removes 99% of the day around here. I have wasted a lot of time, components and barrel life coming to this conclusion.

When you say you can't keep the cross hairs on the target at 100 yards, that sounds like mirage to me. When you laying prone on the ground (or sit at the bench) with the gun all braced up and perfectly still and the target dot is dancing all over the place you're dealing with mirage. Backing off the power of the scope really doesn't help me when this is happening. I won't try test loads under these condition if I don't have to. I will wait until the last hour or two of the day or early the next morning before mirage rears it's ugly head. I have shot in the dark with a flashlight shining on the target and this works pretty well if you have that option.

I shoot in mirage all the time, but I don't do load development in it anymore unless I have no choice. The same goes for getting a good zero on my gun, I don't do it when there is bad mirage

All great advice. In my case, working on just breath and trigger control brought my groups to where I am now pretty happy with them. "Operator error" is my most common issue:)

As mentioned a target that helps you see alignment.I shoot orange dots,with open center tmr.Works good for me. the 1.5'' size fits nice in center at 3-400 yrds

Well...i submit also that mirage can play a huge amount into your shooting at distance.....
I had a target set at 300 yards...from bench..with bags...7wsm...handloads...ocean beach front elevation....mirage left to right..shooting north westerly...sun behind me....mid dayish....
Sighting thru scope showed mirage...target dot would disappear....
then come back.......timed it out with leading edge of mirage....
Shot a .75" three shot group.....outside measurement....
Surprised the heck out myself......and no one there to witness it....but I wasn't doing it to show off....just testing a load......i will take that luck any day...and twice hunting.....

Along with everything else that has been brought up the type of target I shoot at makes a difference to me. I started using the peel and stick circles with the black center diamond on my regular target and they helped quite a bit. I did have a hunting load for a rifle that I never could get much under an inch at 100. I started shooting it farther out and it was still a little under an inch out to 300.

I agree with needing a grid target (I like 5 diamonds, black and orange)
I do not use Shoot N See targets for groups.
Agree also with using a big sand bag to rule out any rifle issues.
Shoot from a bench to see if it makes a difference.
SnT

I have same results. I shoot better at longer range vs 100yds always when I compare MOA grouping. At longer ranges I think I concentrate more, is only thing I can come up with.

Another consideration concerning targets and shooting is that its difficult to be consistent if your shooting out your POA. Also, a crosshair may be difficult to line up in space. Some of the bench rest targets have a square on them to help align cross hairs. Same effect as a grid. May be more consistent lining up cross hairs with a grid or a square corner than to center a dot or cross hair in the center of either a 1 inch square or a dot when trying to shoot tiny groups.

I use a lead sled to test all of my loads when I achieve what I'm looking for then I switch over to the bag or my bipod, if my results aren't the same I know I'm doing something wrong

Quit trying to hold so steady! It's ok for your sight picture to move slightly. Trying to hold your crosshairs completely still leads to punching the trigger and that will lead to poor groups and in some cases a flinch.

As stupid as this is going to sound, it is true. I just recently got into reloading and longer range shooting, out to 820 yards so far. I had a long learning curve with the reloading but with alot of research and help from members on this forum I believe I have a good grip on it now. With all the paper shooting out to 100 yard I have done during the learning stages, I have grown to hate shooting paper. I never could get the sub .5 moa groups that alot of you get, hell it was hard enough getting sub 1 moa groups. It was simply because I had a hard time holding the crosshairs steady on that orange dot. The other day I finally had a load for my 6.5 creedmoor that I wanted to test out at further distances, to test how good my load was. The furthest I shot that day was 700 yards. Once I had everything dialed in to where I was hitting the target center mass, I repainted the target and shot some more. I was getting 5-6" grouping, with the exception to the odd flyer. I am still very new to the long range shooting thing so my groups probably aren't that impressive to alot of you but for some strange reason I am much more comfotable, confident and steady with my shooting out to the further distances than I am at the closer ones. Seems strange but it's a problem I'm glad to have.

When shooting at closer distances dial your scope down in power.

You can easily get into a problem with too much zoom in that at closer distances even the most minute movements are exaggerated and you can easily then get to trying to fight it to get steady and pushing or forcing shots out of frustration.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.