Any Luck With Interbonds?

QuietHunter

I picked up some 165 gr Hornady Interbonds for my 300 SAUM last week. I put together a few different loads using data that had produced nice results with the 178 A-Max and some other 165 offerings. My groups were the absolute worse I have ever shot from that rifle. Typically that gun has put everything I have fed it inside an inch and these were in the 3 inch range
Anyone else had this kind of experience or suggestions? Are their nuances to this bullet or did I just get a bad batch?
confused.gif
shocked.gif

All new tech bullets are very long for their weight so need a full work up to get the right load. Chances are your are over pressure so back off a couple of grains and work up. I would expect these bullets like to be close to the lands like the rest of the Hornady family.

Will post results on my adventures with this bullet later when the fire season ends.

Jerry

I've been spending a lot of time at the range trying to get the right 165 grn Interbond load. I'm convinced my 300 RUM doesn't like the higher velocities. I've probably put 20 different powder type and weight cominations through it. I've settled on a recipe at 3505 fps and a 1 1/4" group. My hope is Hornady and Nosler force Scirroco to have to sell their bullets at a better price. If so, I'm going to a 180 grn Scrirroco if the Interbonds don't perform this hunting season. You might try some Retumbo powder if you haven't tried it. I'm able to get some fairly high velocities without having to go much past the listed max loads.

Thanks for the replies Jerry and TBB.
I will keep working on it to see if I can get some accuracy out of these bullets, but if my results are not better by the end of the box I will have to try the Sciroccos. $$$

Retumbo would be to slow to get any decent velocities out of a 300 SAUM. A compressed load of H4831 is where I start with faster powders for higher velocities.

I went through a box of 165's in my GA Precision .308 without getting a single group under 1" at 100 yds. I don't think I'll be buying anymore. One day I'll learn just to stick with Sierras.

My 300 RUM with a Kreiger 1 in 13" twist barrel will put 3 into 3" at 300yds at 3250fps,haven't tried to push them real fast yet.

That is exactly what I found out of a very accurate 308. It was the sorriest bullet accuracy wise I have ever shot through that rifle or maybe any rifle. Groups were in 1 3/4" to 2 1/2" range. Just sorry I put 100 rounds of throat wear on that rifle with them. And found the same thing to be true of 129 gr. SST's in my 260 I put a 100 rounds of throat wear on that super accurate Krieger barrel for nothing as well. I hope it has finally got through my thick skull that if it isn't a Sierra, Berger, or JLK it isn't going down any tube of mine.

Shoot Safe, Shoot Straight.....RiverRat

When I tested the 165 Interbonds in several .308 rifles we got accuracy ranging from 0.38" up to 1.5 inches for five shots at 100 yards. Seems some rifles just don't like them, even with charges and O.L's that are very accurate in the rifles with other bullets.
I did not find the 150's to be as difficult to get great accuracy with, 47 gr. of Varget has shot sub .4"s several times and fairly constently under 0.5 in three rifles. Have drops out to 700 for them, hope to break 600, maybe 650 with them this year.

As far as the A-Max bullets go, I get great accuracy out of my 300 RUM at about 3400 fps, however I can't get the SST's to group worth a crap! Any thoughts on Barnes new Triple Shock? What about Nosler's InterBond?

Maybe partitions will be with us for another 50 years!!! Someday it would be nice if we could buy variety packs with 25 ea of the newest, hottest, offerings from the people that seem to "tease us" with all these sexy new bullets!

Cobra,
We are testing the Barnes Triple Shocks in a .308 Win. that really does well with the XLC bullet. So far the Triple Shocks have matched or slightly exceeded the accuracy average of the XLC's - that rifle is shooting five shots into 0.5-0.7 very consistently, has broke 0.5 with the Triple Shocks. Chrono data shows we will get more velocity with the Triple Shocks before any pressure signs. Weighing these bullets is a waste of time, they are uniform.
Also shooting Accubonds from Nosler in the .300 Win.and RUM. Very accurate bullet, have moa or better out to 700 yards so far. Have had five shot groups in the mid 0.3's at one hundred yards from the Win. mag. This is a long bullet, very uniform weights.

Ian M, How about sharing your accuracy load for the .308 Tripleshocks.
smile.gif

That load is 44.5 of Varget in BHA Match brass (made by Win.), Win primer and O.L. is 2.830". Very accurate in a Mike Rock barreled 26" custom M-700. Not finished our drops yet, will give them when we do them.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts